• View unanswered postsView active topics

• Pre-rendered Sci Fi Walls

Discuss Wolf3D and Wolf3D modding/ports

Postby ArcaneXeno 20 Jan 2016, 00:50

I'm thinking about rendering some of my modeling assets into textures. I've been out of the Modding scene for awhile so I need a refresher.

What is the resolution of Wold3d textures? I know there are ways to double the resolution. My main concern with them looking good is not the resolution but the limitation of the color pallete. With dithering I'm confident I can make 128x128 textures that look fairly decent, but pushing them down to 64x64 will be a challenge.

Edit: Okay I just found this, I think its a good starting point.
    http://www.areyep.com/RIPandMCS-TextureLibrary.html
    ArcaneXeno

Postby linuxwolf 20 Jan 2016, 01:46

Generally wolf3d textures are 64x64. That includes sprites and wall textures. Yes color palette is a key limitation. I don't see us moving away from color palette graphics for a long time.
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 20 Jan 2016, 10:40

We work with 64x64 (there is one particular area we are now using larger resolutions in, but can't reveal which - on a public area).
    Not only for a retro looks, but as it also allows me easier and faster spritework and editing to make more in less time (we all have work and personal lives), shorten mod development time - and also with this resolution I have less spriting limitations for what I am capable to do and so can bring the mods closer to my vision.
    Also 64x64 allows us larger artbase I can work with from other Wolf3D mods and art sources and art reuse from previous mods.
    Hi-res project takes more time, and allows less editing of borrowed art into the project so the look is less unique and less fine-tuned for a particular mod. At least with my art skills and time resources available. Especially if we talk about 8-dir assets, but not only.

Also we want to look like a very advanced Wolf3D engine, and not a less advanced Doom bootleg copy.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby linuxwolf 20 Jan 2016, 17:28

Yes it is intended the engine for a Team Raycast mod will be no more advanced than the original Doom, at least in most areas. New features not fitting the old wolf3d format are only introduced when warranted by the story or if they have an important effect on game play. Some new features are simply not feasible to add to the engine but we often surprise ourselves.

Jedi's approach on content creation has worked well for a small team such as ours. Time resources are limited, concepts change, new directions are discovered half way through a project, all of which affects content creation. So having 4x fewer pixels to worry about will make it easier to respond quickly to those changes.

In any case I look forward to seeing the result of rendering model assets to textures at either 128x128 or 64x64 using the spear palette.
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby ArcaneXeno 22 Jan 2016, 00:47

Correct me if I am wrong but can each map have its own color Palette?
    ArcaneXeno

Postby linuxwolf 22 Jan 2016, 01:14

Generally no. The same palette applies to all maps and graphics. Palette change will only happen to achieve special effects like red shift or when displaying an intro screen during game load.

Adding a different palette per map will cause problems with the sprite art unless you segregate your art on map boundaries.
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby ArcaneXeno 22 Jan 2016, 02:04

Here is what I've been able to do so far.

Later tonight I'm going to go on a massive hunt through all of my computers, external drives, and thumbsticks to find all my Wolf3d and Rott experiments. I was only able to find a few walls I was going to use at 512x512 for ROTT. Unless I can find a way to downsize the art with less information loss I would rather stick to 128x128.

I know there is a way to do it. Because games like Alpha Centauri and Age of Wonders used models, rendered into tiny little sprites which looked awesome. However I don't think those games were limited to a 256 pallete... :/
    Attachments
    Art_assets_Scaled.png
    ArcaneXeno

Postby linuxwolf 22 Jan 2016, 07:37

Looks good! You made the model from scratch?
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby ArcaneXeno 23 Jan 2016, 00:29

Here is the base wall without textures. Very simple primitives.
    Attachments
    base_wall.png
    ArcaneXeno

Postby ArcaneXeno 23 Jan 2016, 00:31

Here is a render I did of a weapon I designed. For another project but like I said I'm looking to compile all of my various creations into a single project.
    Attachments
    pulsegun_BZ_testrender.png
    ArcaneXeno

Postby linuxwolf 23 Jan 2016, 00:37

Very cool stuff. I didn't realise models could be used to make walls. You have a good skill set.
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby ArcaneXeno 23 Jan 2016, 00:38

Here is a wall created from scratch during my PSP days. Not too terrible I think. Also I believe I've come up with a good way to resize the textures/sprites. My last hurdle would be to apply the 256 color palette to them. Rendering walls and stuff as textures is nothing new, it allows you to bake lighting on them which is a old-school effect to achieve the illusion of dynamic lighting.

With the Trooper sprite I did almost no clean up. Everything is as I left them 3 years ago, except for the pair of sprites on the right. I tried a different scaling technique and I think the results were far better. You have to zoom in close with a image editor to see what I mean. When I have a chance I'll remake everything you see here.
    Attachments
    Scaled_wall.png
    Scaled wall concept.
    Trooper_Diigitized_WIP.png
    digitized model.
    ArcaneXeno

Postby Ron 23 Jan 2016, 02:42

Very impressive stuff indeed! :)
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby ArcaneXeno 23 Jan 2016, 04:56

Thanks! Better stuff is coming soon. :)
    ArcaneXeno

Postby Tricob1974 23 Jan 2016, 07:00

ArcaneXeno wrote:My last hurdle would be to apply the 256 color palette to them.
    When you're using a life-like color palette rather than the more cartoonish colors, there's actually a smaller variety altogether. One exception would be water, which retains 100% of its cartoonish shades. The other exceptions are purely artificial light, such as you see in the console panels in Doom, or LED lights found in countless games - FPS and otherwise.
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Next

Return to General Wolf3D/modding Discussion and tutorials