• View unanswered postsView active topics

• Pre-rendered Sci Fi Walls

Discuss Wolf3D and Wolf3D modding/ports

Postby linuxwolf 23 Jan 2016, 00:37

Very cool stuff. I didn't realise models could be used to make walls. You have a good skill set.
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby ArcaneXeno 23 Jan 2016, 00:38

Here is a wall created from scratch during my PSP days. Not too terrible I think. Also I believe I've come up with a good way to resize the textures/sprites. My last hurdle would be to apply the 256 color palette to them. Rendering walls and stuff as textures is nothing new, it allows you to bake lighting on them which is a old-school effect to achieve the illusion of dynamic lighting.

With the Trooper sprite I did almost no clean up. Everything is as I left them 3 years ago, except for the pair of sprites on the right. I tried a different scaling technique and I think the results were far better. You have to zoom in close with a image editor to see what I mean. When I have a chance I'll remake everything you see here.
    Attachments
    Scaled_wall.png
    Scaled wall concept.
    Trooper_Diigitized_WIP.png
    digitized model.
    ArcaneXeno

Postby Ron 23 Jan 2016, 02:42

Very impressive stuff indeed! :)
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby ArcaneXeno 23 Jan 2016, 04:56

Thanks! Better stuff is coming soon. :)
    ArcaneXeno

Postby Tricob1974 23 Jan 2016, 07:00

ArcaneXeno wrote:My last hurdle would be to apply the 256 color palette to them.
    When you're using a life-like color palette rather than the more cartoonish colors, there's actually a smaller variety altogether. One exception would be water, which retains 100% of its cartoonish shades. The other exceptions are purely artificial light, such as you see in the console panels in Doom, or LED lights found in countless games - FPS and otherwise.
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby linuxwolf 23 Jan 2016, 08:34

There is always the option of extending the engine with 32-bit colour support but I'd prefer not to do this unless absolutely necessary.
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby ArcaneXeno 23 Jan 2016, 21:54

I rendered a few new floors last night. I will try later today to see what results I get from Dithering with the palette applied. I would advocate adding 32bit support, it would save a lot of steps as far as re-sampling the same artwork several or more times.

Found this bit of information from a web search:

What is the difference between 16bit and 24bit color?
    Colour is usually represented on computers, & displayed using 3 colour elements - Red, Green & Blue.

16bit colour (known as "high colour") refers to the fact that only a total of 16 binary bits are used to represent each colour.

This usually results in 5 bits being used for red, 5 bits for blue, and 6 bits for green (due to the fact that we are apparently more visually sensitive to green)
    This gives 32 shades of red and blue available, and 64 shades of green.
    This results in 65536 different possible shades.

24bit colour (known as "true colour") results in 8 bits being used for each colour, allowing 256 shades of each, & a total of 4.2 Million colours.

Pretty much all digital displays use 24bit colour & consider it to be the full or "true" colour mode.

On a home computer 32bit means 24bit is used for red, green & blue.
    The extra 8 bits are usually used for storing internal information (like transparency or stencil information).

32bit is often used because memory can be read easier in steps of 32bits (4 bytes), than it can in 24bits (3 bytes). Visually they will look identical on your monitor.

24bit colour will look visually "better" than 16bit colour, when looking @ high colour images like photography, or smooth gradients of colour.

In 16bit colour you can often see the "steps" as the colour transitions from one to the next.
    In 24bit the colours are so close together that they are often indiscernible, & on most digital monitors, to most eyes, will appear perfectly smooth.

Most modern computer games require your graphics card to be capable of displaying 24bit colour & will no longer support 16bit.
    ArcaneXeno

Postby linuxwolf 24 Jan 2016, 02:14

There is a particular mod I think 32-bit colour might be an option. We've done 32-bit colour before in an in-dev version of Batman NML which had super high quality lighting effects. So its nothing we haven't done before. And we didn't resort to OpenGL. The in-dev Batman NML engine was still a software only renderer like Wolf4SDL, except it output 32-bit graphics instead of 8-bit.

Keep in mind it would be a while before we released anything in 32-bit but there is a specific future project which could really benefit from this as it has a distinctive art direction in it already. Of course, I'm not sure if you would be interested in working on this particular project.
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby ArcaneXeno 24 Jan 2016, 04:03

Tell me more about it. Either way I'm here to help in whatever way I can.
    ArcaneXeno

Postby DoomJedi 24 Jan 2016, 11:46

Gave you a bit more of the forum access.
    Still, quite limited, as you're not yet full team member.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby linuxwolf 24 Jan 2016, 12:13

Yes please explore the forums you have been given access to. It will give you a good idea of how we develop our mods.
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Next

Return to General Wolf3D/modding Discussion and tutorials