• View unanswered postsView active topics

• Parallaxed Skies concept

Discuss Wolf3D and Wolf3D modding/ports

Postby Tricob1974 11 Nov 2012, 03:08

This feature actually requires no extra SDL coding at all; it's all graphics and map design.

Has anyone done a mod where you started at one location, and the final level had you in another? Each level brought you closer to the location of your primary goal in the game.

The thing is, it's not just story text that's telling you where you are. The Parallaxed Skies are a guide, also. In the first level, you see your destination far off in the distance. But with each level you pass, the destination area becomes more and more visible in the Parallaxed Skies.

This would require a lot of work on graphics for the game, but I believe it's quite doable. The question is - has this already been done? :unknown:
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby linuxwolf 11 Nov 2012, 04:18

I think it is a cool idea. You could use the infinite horizon feature to spell it out even more by ending every map in your mod with a walk into the distance. As you progress from one level to the next, you would notice objects on the horizon getting closer.
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 11 Nov 2012, 11:03

Cool, like on SNES StarWars games :)
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Tricob1974 12 Nov 2012, 01:53

linuxwolf wrote:I think it is a cool idea. You could use the infinite horizon feature to spell it out even more by ending every map in your mod with a walk into the distance.
    I'm afraid I can't agree with you there. It's sure to get tiresome with the same type of ending in every map. In fact, if you only showed the skies in every other map, it'd still probably get the job done. :)
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 08 Dec 2012, 20:14

Another idea - transparent layered parallaxed sky...
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Tricob1974 09 Dec 2012, 02:24

StarWolf wrote:Another idea - transparent layered parallaxed sky...
    I'm not sure I understand this one. What exactly is transparent here? If the Parallax Sky itself is transparent, what do we see beyond it?
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 09 Dec 2012, 09:48

Tricob1974 wrote:
    StarWolf wrote:Another idea - transparent layered parallaxed sky...
    I'm not sure I understand this one. What exactly is transparent here? If the Parallax Sky itself is transparent, what do we see beyond it?

Another layer...last one is non-transparent obviously....sky - last layer, clouds - before it, mountains - before it...and they move relative to each other or just randomly shift each level to create new sky and/or show player is in a new place.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Return to General Wolf3D/modding Discussion and tutorials