• View unanswered postsView active topics

• It's Official: The Spongebobstein Remake is happening!

Discuss Wolf3D and Wolf3D modding/ports

Postby Metalor 28 Oct 2012, 03:38

That's right, after lots of pondering and deliberation, I've decided to work on an SDL remake for Spongebobstein. Before you begin to speculate, I am still working on Resident Doom, I will just now spend half of my Wolfing Time working on the Spongebobstein remake (so that if I get bored of one during production I can switch and work on the other and still get work done).

Anyways, I began work a few days ago, and I've been toiling on the game's all-new textures, which are completely 100% hand-drawn (in MSPaint), and are 1,000,000x the quality of the original wall textures from the original.

And for those wondering what exactly the remake will entail, here is a list of features and changes that I plan to implement that will be different from the original:
    - A whole gaggle of new enemies (Of course the famous faces, Spongebob, Patrick, Squidward, etc.) with a few not seen in the original, and all new original animations and AI scripts.
    - Unlike the original, the new rendition will feature new music
    - Textured ceilings and floors
    - be based on the Wolfenstein code and feature 6 episodes
    - Feature animated items and objects
    - Utilize the "Guns and Glory" method of gameplay (with severe tweaks to make the game MUCH easier)
    - 3 difficulty settings, an Easy mode for beginners, a Normal setting for those more experienced, and a Hard setting for those that really want to test their mettle
    - And much more!

Because of how different the remake will be from the original, it is essentially a sequel, though I'm considering it a remake (Though I will probably be enticed to update the original maps at some point and release them with the new content if enough people would like me to).

I don't want to spoil too much other than that, but people are free to ask me questions regarding the remake if they like. I will also eventually provide a few sneak peeks at some of the work I've done to wet your whistles while you wait.

More to come soon, stay tuned!
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 28 Oct 2012, 11:34

Great :) Good luck!
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Metalor 01 Nov 2012, 02:11

As promised (or announced anyway) here's a small sample of how the textures in the remake of Spongebobstein shall look:

As you can see, there's quite a bit of difference between the 8 years that have seperated Spongebobstein and where I am now.

So what you see here is a background image and its comparison to one of the new floor tiles I drew up (since Wolfenstein originally only had grey floors, this is the closest comparison I cna make with that tile). As for the Door, the new one looks much more like Spongebob's front door, while the original looked nothing like anything found in the original episodes of Spongebob. As finally the pineapple looks as it should.

I may produce some of the sprites of the items or objects soon to give you a taste of how all of that will appear in-game as well.

Also a fun note:

I plan on having the hatch on the door actually turn before the door opens. If it goes right, it'll appear as though the player were actually unhatching the door before it slides open.

Stay tuned and stay Spongy!
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Return to General Wolf3D/modding Discussion and tutorials