• View unanswered postsView active topics

• Possible Side Project: The Wolfenstein Boss Battle Cavalcade

Discuss Wolf3D and Wolf3D modding/ports

Postby Metalor 12 Apr 2012, 20:23

I've had an idea for a mod for a while that I'd like to start as a side project, and I wanted to see if anyone was interested in the overall idea and would like to contribute to the project (This mod is of course not related to the contest I'm currently holding).

Anyways, the title and idea for my mod:

The Wolfenstein Boss Battle Cavalcade

The idea is to forego conventional Wolfenstein level-making and instead replace the entire original 60 levels in Wolfenstein 3D with levels dedicated to new and original bosses.

The bosses I have in mind for the mod are to be completely new in Appearance, in AI-script, in Attack method, or in any combination of the three.

To elaborate:
    - Bosses would preferably at least be a palette-swap or an alteration of existing Wolfenstein bosses.
    - The bosses could act in-game like the original bosses, but can act differently, such as a boss walking on a set path via the Directional Arrows or a boss that can't move from it's position at all, etc.
    - The attack methods should be preferably different from that of the original Wolfenstein bosses (though alterations of the original bosses, such as Otto firing two Rockets to the left and right, etc. would be acceptable), and perhaps brand new or original (such as Guard spawning or launching Grenade projectiles, etc.)

The code used would be a slightly modified version of the original Wolf4SDL code with all of the original guards removed, and only a few of the original Wolfenstein and Spear of Destiny bosses left in (for instance, removing Trans but keeping in Gretel as they're identical, but also keeping in Hans because Hans has better aim than either of them or keeping Fettgesicht but leaving out Wilhelm, as they're identical as well) for use for individuals that can't think of original AI or attack scripts but have original graphics that could replace those bosses.

All of the rest of the bosses in the game would preferably be original in the above-mentioned sense.

Since the original guards would be removed, new guards could be added, but only if they serve the bosses' attack method or script specifically (i.e. enemy spawning, or the boss sends out a true/fasle signal that activates inactive guards).

If you have further questions or are interested, please let me know.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Lozer_42 14 Apr 2012, 04:21

Sounds like an interesting concept. I'd definitely be interested personally in designing a boss or two if you are looking for people to do such.
    Lozer_42
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 14 Apr 2012, 04:30

Right now I'm just spreading the idea around to see if people are interested. If enough people are interested, then I'll make the project a reality.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby UnTrustable 30 Apr 2012, 15:03

Interested YES !
    Time to do so, no... maybe later.... but im not sure how much later,
    since my plate is pretty much full at the moment.
    UnTrustable

Postby Metalor 30 Apr 2012, 21:04

Well, I've made no progress on it myself, but the idea is there for when people have the time/drive to want to participate. Until then, I'll have to entertain my wolfing needs in other ways... II<---O H==-=
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Return to General Wolf3D/modding Discussion and tutorials