• View unanswered postsView active topics

• Announcing: Resident Doom

Discuss Wolf3D and Wolf3D modding/ports

Postby Metalor 10 Apr 2012, 00:14

I'm taking the liberty of announcing my next project, a horror-themed mod titled: Resident Doom.

Base off of both Doom and the first 3 Resident Evil games, the game will be just as, if not more ambitious than my last project (Guns and Glory 0.5: The Story Retold).

As I've never done a horror-themed mod before, this will both be a new challenge for myself as well as new territory for me to tread.

Here's a brief summary of the story:
    Two well-meaning but ultimately failed companies, the Umbrella Corporation and the Union Aerospace Corporation have numerous times posed a threat to humanity with their products. The governments of the world have taken action against the two companies and have banned their practices on Earth and all of its territories. But, in secret, the two companies decide to join together (thus creating the Umbrella Aerospace Corporation, or UAC for short) and have set up a secret instillation on an uncharted island, which is disguised from satellites and radar for which they can perform their experiments freely. Knowing that their projects have seen failures again and again, this time the two companies, now joined as one, are instead trying to cite a failure: they seek to utilize Umbrella's virus research as a means of fighting and perhaps overtaking the Demons that are constantly provoked with the UAC's teleportation experiments.

If the Umbrella Aerospace Corporation can succeed in proving that their new products and weapons are effective against the Demon threat, then the teleportation experiments would open an entirely new method for mankind to explore the cosmos. With this goal in mind, both companies have poured all of their remaining funds into a 3-day testing period in which they will gather a massive amount of workers and security forces (many of which are ill-informed of what is to transpire), create an army of Biological weapons, and finally open two seperate portals to the demon's dimensions. Once these goals have been achieved, the two companies will initiate a massive battle on the grounds of the island instillation in which they will infect their entire staff with the brand new "D-Virus" a pathogen capable of infecting even the Demons, releasing the entirety of their biological weapons and pitting their forces against the oncoming demons, all the while recording the fray with their extensive surveylance network. After their weapons have been proven successful, a goal estimated to be met by the end of the third day, the companies will launch a nuclear warhead to erradicate the island and all upon it.

This is where our heroes come in, as they arrive at the island, blissfully unaware of what is about to transpire. Worse still, they arrive and are stranded on the island at the very end of the 2nd day. Unbeknownst to them, they have only 24 hours to escape the island before the missile hits, and the only way off the island, is barricaded beyond countless zombies, biological monsters, and demons...

The game will feature most, if not all of the following coding features:
    - 4 Playable characters, each with their own unique playing style.
    - 8 keys, some of which are always in specific character's possession.
    - 13 weapons, 5 of which are shared amongst the different characters and 8 of which (2 per character) are solely unique to each character.
    - 30+ new enemies and bosses, ranging from demons, to zombies, to countless other horrors.
    - Hi-resolution sprites, and a new height-differential system, so that certain levels look like the original wolfenstein feel, and other levels that give the game a new large-scale or cavernous feel.
    - A new inventory system, with each character having a different amount of certain items that they can carry.
    - Treasure, Secret and Kill ratios will be eliminated, as there will be no more intermission screens between levels (barring intermission texts).
    - A new money system where if the going gets tough, you can purchase weapons or ammo, provided you have the funds to do so.
    - Destructable walls and other startling effects where the enemies will smash through the level itself, just to hunt you down!
    - 6 episodes, each with 10 heart-pounding levels, in which there are 4 different ways to play through as each character will have their own starting position and challenges.
    - New puzzle challenges, each requiring the use of the new Pushwall system, in which pushwalls only move 1 space, as to allow precise positioning within map locations.
    - A limited number of saves, which can only be increased by collecting Ink Ribbons (a la Resident Evil).
    - And much, much more!

Progress has not been started on this mod yet, but once the contest for Guns and Glory 0.5 is over, I'll begin working on the project in full swing.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 10 Apr 2012, 00:30

Wow, sounds Huge....Very large project
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Metalor 10 Apr 2012, 01:00

Indeed. But I can do it. And alot of the stuff that was neglected in G&G0.5 won't be a problem. I plan to eliminate alot of the problems that were present in G&G, such as brand-new menu pictures, features, and of course a revamping of the high-scores system (in being true with Resident Evil-style gameplay, players will compete for a low gametime rather than a high score).

Quite frankly and truth be told, I want to make the levels in a style somewhat similar to Unsung. Though the end result won't be as apparent as my statement.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 10 Apr 2012, 06:07

Interesting note:

I did a planned headcount today and it seems that the enemy count will be more like 60-ish (not counting the doubles of enemies I'll have to program in).
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 10 Apr 2012, 09:54

Metalor wrote:.
    Quite frankly and truth be told, I want to make the levels in a style somewhat similar to Unsung.

Yeah, great mod that was :)
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Metalor 14 Apr 2012, 05:54

Just thought I'd titilate those interested with a preview of the status bar I've come up with for my next Mod: Resident Doom.

The status bar is very similar to the one in Guns and Glory, but with some noticeable differences.

Anyways, the status bar is not coded-in yet and progress on the mod is minimal at best (it hasn't technically started yet), but I'm posting this as both a way to give some insight and so that I can return to it later as I'll be using it as a template.

The bar will feature the following features: (within the graphically different colored areas from left to right)
    1. A minimap feature which will be 24x24 pixels in size, which makes it 1.5x larger than the one in Guns and Glory.
    2. A level display
    3. A timer (the timer will work differently in Resident Doom than in previous mods because the game time will be carried over from level to level. Instead of being graded on score, players will be graded on the time it took for them to finish the episode).
    4. A cash display. The player will earn cash by killing enemies or picking up weapons that they already have and they can use the cash to buy weapons, upgrades or other items.
    5. 8 Keys (much like in Guns and Glory, only some characters will have a specific key available to them all the time and some of the keys are not color-coded).
    6. A visual display which changes depending on the character that the player is currently playing as.
    7. A status and health display which will tell the player what their condition is and whether they have a status ailment or not (such as Poison).
    8. A weapon, ammo and clip display which shows which weapon the player is currently using, what ammo type they need/use for that weapon, how much ammunition they have and how much ammo is in their clip (for reloading weapons).
    9. An inventory slot-set. There will be 8 different items that the player can carry multiples of, and if they player does not have that item, the corresponding slot will be empty. Each character can hold a certain amount of each item, and how much of each item is uniform throughout each character (one character can hold 2 of every item, another can hold up to 6 of each item).
    10. A powerup display. Here the upgrades that the player has purchased are visually displayed for clarity (the powerups range from speed to health increases).

As you may of noticed, I did not mention a Lives indicator, this is because there will be no extra lives given to the player. Once the player dies, the game will end, so saving will be necessary. Also, there will be a limited number of available saves for the player (though the player can increase this amount by collecting one of the inventory items which allows 1 save per use).

Again, none of this is hard-coded yet, but this will most likely be similar to what the final product looks like.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 14 Apr 2012, 08:25

Looks promicing and interesting ...and challenging.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Metalor 14 Apr 2012, 09:14

The challenge comes from what character you choose.

One of the characters will be light on their feet and able to carry massive amounts of items (6 of each item), but they'll have relatively weak special weapons and a low maximum health.

Another will have average everything with rapid-fire weapons.

The third will have strong-in-one-hit weapons, better health, worse speed and relatively low inventory space.

The last will have access to a very strong Minor weapon and the weapon with the highest ammo capacity as well as the highest health of all 4 characters with the downside of being the slowest-moving character and having a VERY small inventory space (2 of each item).

The challenge comes with what character you play as and how well you can stock them or how well you can adapt with their fighting styles. 3 of the characters even get bonuses such as a key that they always carry with them.

But none of this exists yet, so there's little reason to speculate much beyond what I've said here.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 14 Apr 2012, 09:26

Love player classes. Adds so much replay value....  
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Metalor 16 Apr 2012, 00:15

I mentioned earlier that Resident Doom will have Hi-Resolution sprites and will utilize them in a new and unique way unseen in any prior Wolfenstein Mod.

Below is a size depiction and comparison for how the sprites will look in an editor.

The sprite on the left is reminiscent of how the original Wolfenstein sprites would be scaled. The left side sprites will be used in areas scaled so that they are indistinguishable from the original game scaling.

The sprite on the right will be used in levels where the size and height of the player is scaled down to half to allow a more cavernous and open feel to the game's levels. All enemies will be scaled to this size. Some enemies cannot be scaled to the other size, due to either appearing out of relative scale or being too distorted or large in the other scale.

Depending upon the overall coding and level-making process, I may end up just using the second scale for all enemies.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby linuxwolf 16 Apr 2012, 09:05

Do you need to bring the camera closer to the ground to achieve this effect? I've never seen this done in a Wolf3D mod before. It should be cool.

If your idea really works then you should be able to have gigantic monsters in your Wolf3D mod. I look forward to the results! :wink:
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 16 Apr 2012, 09:32

I actually haven't done any of the coding yet. But I've seen that feature done to some degree in both Klooni and Doom: Legions of Hell (as the death animation) so I know it's possible.

I look forward to the results as well. :wink:
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 19 Jun 2012, 06:49

CRUD!

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22024

Seems someone's got the same idea, only they're much farther along than I am. Ah well, I'll still make my version eventually.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby linuxwolf 19 Jun 2012, 07:36

Don't you hate it when that happens? :(

It is mind boggling how many new mods are being made these days. I guess we have no one to blame but ourselves huh?
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 19 Jun 2012, 08:12

I actually only recently found out about this today, but it seems the idea for that mod is at least 2 years old.

It also seems that it isn't going under that much progress lately.

But either way, it won't discourage me from making my version (which will be better because It'll be for Wolfenstein :wink: )
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Next

Return to General Wolf3D/modding Discussion and tutorials