• View unanswered postsView active topics

• Announcing: Resident Doom

Discuss Wolf3D and Wolf3D modding/ports

Postby linuxwolf 16 Apr 2012, 09:05

Do you need to bring the camera closer to the ground to achieve this effect? I've never seen this done in a Wolf3D mod before. It should be cool.

If your idea really works then you should be able to have gigantic monsters in your Wolf3D mod. I look forward to the results! :wink:
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 16 Apr 2012, 09:32

I actually haven't done any of the coding yet. But I've seen that feature done to some degree in both Klooni and Doom: Legions of Hell (as the death animation) so I know it's possible.

I look forward to the results as well. :wink:
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 19 Jun 2012, 06:49

CRUD!

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22024

Seems someone's got the same idea, only they're much farther along than I am. Ah well, I'll still make my version eventually.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby linuxwolf 19 Jun 2012, 07:36

Don't you hate it when that happens? :(

It is mind boggling how many new mods are being made these days. I guess we have no one to blame but ourselves huh?
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 19 Jun 2012, 08:12

I actually only recently found out about this today, but it seems the idea for that mod is at least 2 years old.

It also seems that it isn't going under that much progress lately.

But either way, it won't discourage me from making my version (which will be better because It'll be for Wolfenstein :wink: )
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 19 Jun 2012, 08:32

Yeah, good decision!

Make your own version, you own vision....mods are as unique as modders who make them.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Metalor 26 Sep 2012, 00:13

As of yesterday evening, progress on Resident Doom has officially begun. I've lovingly decided to use the files from another of my mods: "Schabb's, an Evil Lunatic" for the base files, and I will be modeling the mod after Spear of Destiny rather than Wolfenstein 3D, as originally planned.

The game will have 21 levels total, with 18 regular and 3 secret levels, split up into three "acts" and each level will be set up so that they play out differently for each of the game's characters. That means: there will be 5 different ways to play out the exact same level, as there will be 5 playable characters (4 normal and 1 secret). Thus the need for more than one, single continuing episode is not necessary.

I've already completed the game's palette and a few basic changes from the base Wolf4SDL code. insurrectionman has already offered to help with coding, so I may contact him soon in regards to what I'd like, but here is a new list of the changes and features I plan to have in the game: (to wet your whistles)

- 5 playable characters (4 normal, 1 secret) each with their own health and speed values
    - An inventory system that allows players to carry around goods.
    - Each character can only hold certain amounts of each amount (each character holds the same amount for each item, so one character can hold up to 6 of any item and another only 1 of each item).
    - Each character will have 2 unique weapons to themselves and have 4 "ordinary" weapons that each character can use (if they can acquire them)
    - 4 Keys.
    - Weapons and items that have to be manually picked up by pressing the Spacebar key (it cuts down on the action a bit, yes, but this is a horror-themed mod).
    - Limited saving, players are now limited to the amount of saves they can use, and even then, they only have 1 life. Damage can carry over in the worst of ways if the player isn't careful.
    - Interactive objects that the player can inspect with the Spacebar key.
    - Pushwalls that only move 1 space. There will be no more secrets, Pushwalls are now strictly for puzzles.
    - No more intermission screens, the amount of enemies killed, treasure obtained, and secrets found is no longer important. There will still be points, but they will be used for obtaining additional saves on top of those that are found.
    - Destructable Walls.
    - Status ailments.

There of course will be many more features, but these are some of the more juicy ones.

Stay tuned, more updates to follow!
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 01 Dec 2012, 10:30

Guys from the forum - if you want to take part on "Resident Doom" - just ask me to add you to this group to access the subforum.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Next

Return to General Wolf3D/modding Discussion and tutorials