• View unanswered postsView active topics

• Guns and Glory Community Mapset Thread -Update-

Discuss Wolf3D and Wolf3D modding/ports

Postby Metalor 01 Apr 2012, 02:20

This thread is for the winners of the contest for Guns and Glory 0.5: The Story Retold.

The contest will officially begin upon the mod's release and this thread will chronicle who has won the contest, how many requirements for the contest they have fulfilled, and which levels (if any) they are providing to the public secondary release Mapset. The contest is officially over when all of the mapslots are filled.

Contest winners and participants can come here to discuss their prizes, map making, or assistance for acheiving the requirements.

The following is a list of the current levels left available for participants to accept as their prizes. Prizes are first-come, first serve. Any participants that wish to remain anonymous need only to request and shall remain anonymous through the secondary public release. Anyone who meets the requirements for the contest, but does not wish to part take in the prizes is not obligated to do so. Participants that do part take in the prizes are only allowed up to a maximum of 4 levels, max.

-EDIT-

Well, the contest is obviously not seeing any inductees of any kind so I'm instead changing the format of this thread from the "Contest Winners Thread" to the "Community Mapset Thread."

So instead, now anybody that wants to is free to vouch to make as many levels as they please (a predisposed limit of 4 will be set, but if there isn't much interest in the idea as before then those who are interested can have more as they see fit). I will also be making several maps myself for the mod when I've the disposition or time to do so.

So, as it stands anyone is free to contact me and request to make some levels for a Community mapset. The mapset will not contain a new EXE for thsoe wodnering, so, aside from the possibility that the maps will deviate completely from the original game's story, it will still be compatible with the base game. New music additions will be allowed, and users should provide both an MIDI and OGG version for use with their level, otherwise, the level will be assumed to use the music used for the original level of the base game.

There's no real deadline on this, however, as always it's first come, first serve, and also because I plan to make levels for it myself, the levels will slowly fill up, regardless of if others wish to contribute or not. As it stands, the project already has 1 finished level, which is the level I made for the Contest as part of my original contribution to the community mapset.

The following, again, is the list for the available mapslots, which may or may not remain open long:

-EDIT- I've decided to allocate a number of levels for myself, the table below has changed to read as such:

Maps:
    1. Taken - Metalor - 100%
    2. Taken - Metalor - 0%
    3. Taken - ronwolf1705 - 100%
    4. Available
    5. Available
    6. Available
    7. Available
    8. Available
    9. Taken - Metalor - 0%
    10. Available
    11. Available
    12. Taken - Metalor - 0%
    13. Available
    14. Taken - Metalor - 0%
    15. Available
    16. Available
    17. Available
    18. Taken - Metalor - 0%
    19. Available
    20. Available
    21. Available
    22. Available
    23. Taken - Metalor - 0%
    24. Available
    25. Taken - Metalor - 0%
    26. Available
    27. Available
    28. Available
    29. Available
    30. Available
    31. Available
    32. Available
    33. Taken - Metalor - 100%

-EDIT- I may allocate more, but for now, these are the maps I will personally be replacing. Remember that the maps will all be non-sequitors of each other in this community release. They do not have to tie into each other in any way.

As with the original post of the contest thread, the following users are still entitled and encouraged to provide a map to the new mapset:
    Dean (1 level), WolferCooker (1 level), mbender (2 levels).

And as stated above, I will be providing all new maps myself periodically to this set. In doing so, I will attempt to make levels that are overall easier and more enjoyable for newer players. Although the new maps will not follow the formula or original map order as far as overall theme, they will hopefully increase in difficultly very gradually and other wise be much easier for new players to play. My new levels will also not be encumbered by the taboo of using elements from secret levels in regular levels, so in this way, players who may have missed out on the secret levels, either by sheer difficulty or inability to locate them will get to enjoy the content made and used therein.

Please check back often and if you'd like to contribute a couple of maps, please pm me or email me at: harkodos@gmail.com
    Title your message: "Community Mapset" or somehing along thsoe lines when PMing or emailing me.

Thanks, and keep Wolfing!

-EDIT-

Oh yes, and the map editting files are for Chaos-Edit and I will include a couple of extra documents that contain information in regards to using certain features in-game.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 01 Apr 2012, 02:26

So can I apply to do a map for this or do I first have to win a contest?
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 01 Apr 2012, 02:33

You'll have to win the contest by meeting the requirements illustrated in the game's official release.

Each participant can win up to 4 times, meaning they can make up to 4 maps. The first person to meet all 4 winning requirements (and proving that they have done so by either sending in gamesaves or a screenshot of the location of the requirement) will also be allowed to use a bonus boss enemy that is not featured in the base game (It's in the code, but it's never used).

Contest winners will also have the opportunity to use a bonus enemy not featured in the base game in their levels. There aren't really any real rules about what you can have from the game in your levels, save for the bonus boss and a few nitpicks that I'll mention in a word document in the editing package (for ChaosEdit).
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 12 May 2012, 03:44

Congradulations to mbender! The first successful entree into the contest was his!

That's right, the contest is still going! There are still currently (as of the time of this post) 32 maps open for those interested.

And for those interested, I'll release a few of the game's cheat codes, provided of course that at least 3 more entrees are successfully entered first. mbender is currently the closest to meeting that goal, and I wish him luck if he decides to do so.

Upon 2 successful entrees, I'll post some juicy Teaser and Spoiler screenshots of the secret levels to get your mouths drooling.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 20 May 2012, 00:08

Well, as I stated earlier, upon the 2nd entree (once again submitted by mbender), I would post a few Spoiler Screenshots of the 9 secret levels from my Mod Guns and Glory 0.5: The Story Retold.

Read on if you don't mind spoilers:

Hidden Text: Show
    Level 25 - Pacman Fever:
    - As the name suggests, this level is basically my version of the secret level from Episode 3 of the original Wolfenstein 3D. This version however has two mazes (both which are more cramped than the original's). The two mazes featured are the first maze from the original Pacman and the first maze from Ms. Pacman. You'll have to navigate through both to successfully complete the level.

Level 26 - Turkey Stabber:
    - This level takes its inspiration from the bonus game in Doom 3 called: Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3. However, since Wolfenstein doesn't use the fist as the melee weapon, this level instead involves stabbing turkies to receive score. This level is probably the most tedious in the entire game, and the player is forced to battle 100 turkies in total with only a knife before they can leave. However the player will be treated to 25000+ score points for doing so.

Level 27 - Dopefish Lives!
    - The name says it all. A level filled with invincible Dopefish enemies that quickly sap your health. They guard keys and treasure. It's basically the Pacman Level with Dopefish instead and a bit more original of a layout.

Level 28 - WolfenKart
    - A while back I said I was working on something new and revolutionary for Wolfenstein 3D, this is what I meant (mostly). This level features Hans, Schabbs, Hitler, Otto, Gretel, Fettgesicht, Trans, and Wilhelm in Mario-esq Racing Karts driving around a course while picking up special "?" crates to obtain powerups to attack the player with. The player must defeat all 8 if they wish to leave. Also, every time each racer crosses the finish/start line, the player loses 100 points.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 20 May 2012, 00:09

Level 29 - Kefka Hates You
    - This level is accessed a bit differently than the rest. The player must find and take the Spear of Destiny to be transported to thsi level. Then they must die to be restarted in a different area of the level. After that the player must stock up on health and weapons before confronting the game's first Super Secret (Well, not anymore) Boss: Kefka Palazzo. Kefka is arguably the hardest boss in the game, boasting nine different attacksm each with different effects, such as exploding, bouncing off walls, homing in on the player and even removing nearly all of the player's health and even God Mode in a single strike. Not easily defeated Kefka is sadly not part of the contest. Fighting him only nets you some brief anxiety, panic, and perhaps a heart attack.

This one might be okay to go ahead and read:
    Level 30 - Doomed
    - I've received numerous critiques or comments suggesting that my Mod was too much like Doom. That's no co-incidence, considering the existence of this secret level. Pitting the player against the Imp and Pinky Demon, this level is quite difficult because these enemies are far stronger than the regular fare of foes in the regular levels. This is one of the few levels that features the score being derived from the enemies rather than treasure items.

This one's not much of a spoiler, really:
    Level 31 - Surviving Hell
    - This level has the distinction of being the hardest in the game with a minimum completion time of roughly 20 minutes. It has 100 enemies within its borders, 10 of each of the 10 regular guards from the game. The level has loads of ammo, treasure, and difficulty. Those with great ambition should seek it out, those that are squeemish, should avoid this level.

Super Spoiler Here:
    Level 32 - In My Mind
    - This level is by far the most bizarre of them all. Featuring 3 seperate bosses (one of them pictured for your convenience) and 32 non-hostile characters (one of them is also pictured), the player travels through a large city. The level is bizarre simply because it has so many unique characters in it and that it has 3 unique boss enemies in it. he boss pictured (Lucca Ashtear from Chrono Trigger) is the second of the three bosses fought on this level and is the third of the five Super Secret (not anymore once you've read this) Bosses in the game. She stands next to her companion Robo (yep that's a freebie because he's part of the naming the 32 non-hostiles requirement for my Contest) and waits for the player to defeat the first secret boss on that level. The player must defeat all 3 bosses and a wave of special guards before they can leave this level.

Level 33 - Where You Belong
    - The last secret level and the last level in the game (On Hard), this level pits you in a deathmatch between one final opponent. On par with being the strongest in the game, one only need to take a screenshot of him to meet one of the contest requirements. Of course, he is not to be confused with the other foe found on this level, which can be felled in a single hit for free points and a Key. The black areas kill all who enter, save for the boss himself. Defeating this boss is not terribly hard, depending upon how you go about it, but the terrain complicates the matters considerably.

Well, that's it. Hopefully, I've stirred your interest in trying to find the game's secret levels so that you ca enjoy them for yourself now. If not, well then at least you know a bit more about the extra effort I put into this game. And as promised, upon 4 contest entrees, I'll post the game's basic cheat codes. Upon 8 entrees, I'll post the means for enabling all of them. But of course, cheating means that you can't get a high score, so it's preferred that you shy away from doing so.

Anyways, have fun drooling over this for a while, I'm off to do inane things!
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 15 Jul 2012, 06:53

Well I've decided, obviously this contest isn't going to see any entrees after all so I figure that next Sunday I'll go ahead and post the basic cheat codes, and I'll give a hint as to how to find the others. I'll also delight those around who are still interested with a whole gaggle of spoiler images, showcasing everything new I added into the game. I've been dying to showcase my creativity, and I think I've waited long enough.

So let's run through that again for Clarity, on the 22nd I shall post the following:
    1. The basic Cheat codes (God mode, the free-stuff cheat, etc.)
    2. How to find out what the other cheat codes are.
    3. All the nifty secrets I jammed into the secret levels.

If anyone would like to wait a bit longer before seeing any of these things, please tell me before I post the above mentioned, otherwise I shall post them on the date mentioned.

Until then, keep Wolfing!
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 24 Jul 2012, 00:10

A day short, but here's the basic cheat codes, as promised:

Press the following keys simultaneously to activate the cheat:

G+U+N = Free stuff including full health, armor, some ammo, all weapons, and a few other stuff (but score is reduced by 10,000 points).
    Tab+G+F10 = God Mode (Complete invulnerability) WARNING: Although it lasts forever, there IS an opponent that can remove God Mode on one of the secret levels.

The rest of the cheats can be found in the game's HELPART file. Just open it in Notepad and scroll to page 94 (i.e. the first page that's normally blank in-game. That's right, there's text there, it's just the exact color of the ReadThis' background).

The rest of the codes work mainly as they do in the original unless otherwise stated. I'll probably post some screenshots of the game's awesome secrets later. I've been swamped the last few days with housework and guests. I guess the contest's over also, since the contest has only seen two entrees in like, forever. Later I'll probably open up some options for anyone that'd like to contribute a new map for an optional mapset. I fnothing else, I'll stem my boredom by making an entire mapset myself. I've already got 1 down, just 32 left to go. Anyone that'd want to contribute would be welcome to use what the Contest winners would have had the opportunity to use.

But that would be for later, right now just enjoy cheating and finding the stuff in my game on your own.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby WolferCooker 25 Jul 2012, 04:39

That secret disk... what was its function after obtaining it? Does it basically add the text info containing the cheats into the Guns and Glory file?
    WolferCooker

Postby Metalor 25 Jul 2012, 07:46

Nope, it just gives the player the code for the contest and provides a plentiful amount of points. The text in the Read This is just the same color as the background. You can see what it says if you open the file in Notepad.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 18 Aug 2012, 01:34

Got a brand, spankin' new Spoiler for y'all! This one's gonna showcase one of the new bosses I made for Guns and Glory 0.5 and all of it's animations. If you're uneager to have anything spoiled for yourself, then I suggest avoiding this, otherwise, dig on in!

This screenshot shows the third boss of three on level 32 (In My Mind). The picture shows Kim Pine from Scott Pilgrim VS. The World as she appears in-game. She was the second-to-last boss I created for the game that was hand-drawn and did not use a base for to make.

She's also currently standing in front of a Billboard of Scott (from Scott Pilgrim, duh). The billboard denotes a key location that if she's lured to that spot (there's a special pickup object there that only she can pick up), she'll become immobile and not attack the player, thus guaranteeing an easy victory.

She's not really the strongest boss in the game, and is on par with the other two bosses on level 32, but she is perhaps my favorite of the bosses, simply for her plethora of frames, animations, and her AI that I programmed for her. However, fighting her is necessary for completing level 32.

And also, here's some animations for the above mentioned Spoiler:
    ImageImageImage
    These are all of Kim Pine's animations from Guns and Glory 0.5: The Story Retold. I've wanted to post these up for quite a long time, so I finally did so recently. I'm very happy with how these turned out and if nothing else, I'd at least like someone to tell me something along the lines of: "Good Job" or "Those are some awesome sprites, dude!" That sort of stuff.

These sprites are part of the reason why I'm so disappointed that nobody was able to beat my game or find everything, or even enter into the contest. But, that's life I suppose.

Started on 8/1/2011, and finished on 9/2/2011.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 18 Aug 2012, 01:35

Some more of the animations:
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 18 Aug 2012, 01:35

The last of the animations:
    ImageImageImage

I'm starting to contemplate releasing another updated EXE for Guns and Glory that'll make the game operate similar to the original Wolfenstein. That way, players can have 100% health, armor, and not die every few minutes/seconds.

Will I do it? Only time or this upcoming weekend will tell.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 18 Aug 2012, 07:24

Nice :)
    Thanks for sharing :)
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Metalor 18 Aug 2012, 09:44

I've been dying to post these, amongst others. I'll most likely post the rest when I've been rejuvinated like this morning.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Next

Return to General Wolf3D/modding Discussion and tutorials