• View unanswered postsView active topics

• NetWolf and NetKeen public thread

Discuss Wolf3D and Wolf3D modding/ports

Postby DoomJedi 29 Jan 2012, 15:10

I was visiting "Commander Keen" modding forums today....and I'm a bit ashamed - even they succeeded to create a multiplayer Keen, called NetKeen...and Keen's source is not even released.

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/b9R1WB0f-w4[/youtu_be]
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Ron 29 Jan 2012, 15:37

In order to attract some new wolfers, I think multiplayer would be the way to go. I think multiple people are working on it, and it would be amazing if it actually happened.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 29 Jan 2012, 15:42

Who works on it?

I know some planned to...but I'm not aware of someone who is currently trying to.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Ron 29 Jan 2012, 16:21

I don't know if I'm supposed to say, but there are always people working on multiplayer Wolf3d. Problem is that very often it doesn't get finished.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 29 Jan 2012, 16:39

Learning from NetKeen:

...eventually evolved into a multiplayer arena stunmatch that makes use of the Doom IPX network code. Using the IPX tunneling power of DOSBox, you can stage 2-4 player battles over LAN and even over the internet

Why can't we use the DOSBox IPX tunneling?...whatever THAT is....
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby WolferCooker 29 Jan 2012, 21:10

Brian posted something about a beta version of a Wolf3d multiplayer mod last year. It should be in the 2011 archives at his Dome site.
    WolferCooker

Postby DoomJedi 31 Jan 2012, 17:02

Guys, did you notice? Lemm (a GREAT coder, coding "star" of the Keen modding community) the maker of NetKeen - just registered the DHW! 8)

My guess is that he registered after I wrote about SDL advantages on Keen modding forum.
    NetKeen uses Wolf3D code....so he probably is looking to make NetKeenSDL :)

This can probably help us to make NetWolfSDL >0<
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby linuxwolf 01 Feb 2012, 09:38

Is there a way to get the NetWolfSDL project started with Lemm as the lead? I wonder how the multiplayer code will work. Doom was peer-to-peer networking and Quake was client-server networking. That's pretty much everything I know about network code. :oops:

Has anyone done 8 direction sprites for BJ before?
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 01 Feb 2012, 11:30

linuxwolf wrote:Is there a way to get the NetWolfSDL project started with Lemm as the lead?

Probably he has to make NetKeenSDL first and to learn combining multiplayer with SDL. My guess.
    After that - who knows?

As I said - NetKeen multiplayer is currently based on DoxBox IPX tunneling - which is combination of Doom IPX netcode - and DosBos IPX tunneling feature

NetKeen is a multiplayer fangame created by Lemm by reverse engineering the Keen Galaxy/ Wolf3D code and combining it with the Doom IPX network code. The game supports LAN play and Internet play using DOSBox IPX tunneling for up to 4 players.

Doom was peer-to-peer networking

Currently it's indeed peer-to-peer.
    But with SDL (without need for DropBox) - maybe something else can be invented. If it can - we'll see it in NetKeen SDL :)

Me :D (Though I was not the only one to release such a pack) Even released them for free use.
    As were 8-dir shooting frames for most of other Wolf3D enemies (beside Bosses) - released by me for free use...
    I did even more, but that's a bit classified :roll:
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby linuxwolf 01 Feb 2012, 14:21

StarWolf wrote:
    linuxwolf wrote:Is there a way to get the NetWolfSDL project started with Lemm as the lead?

Probably he has to make NetKeenSDL first and to learn combining multiplayer with SDL. My guess.
    After that - who knows?

You know what would be awesome in NetWolfSDL? Cooperative play! Just imagine how it would feel to gun down Nazis with your buddies online.

StarWolf wrote:As I said - NetKeen multiplayer is currently based on DoxBox IPX tunneling - which is combination of Doom IPX netcode - and DosBos IPX tunneling feature

Good to know. Thanks for explaining it to me. I didn't expect IPX to work over the Internet but with DosBox IPX tunneling it makes sense that this is possible.

StarWolf wrote:NetKeen is a multiplayer fangame created by Lemm by reverse engineering the Keen Galaxy/ Wolf3D code and combining it with the Doom IPX network code. The game supports LAN play and Internet play using DOSBox IPX tunneling for up to 4 players.

It sounds like he had a lot of fun doing NetKeen. NetWolfSDL should be a walk in the park for Lemm.

StarWolf wrote:
    Doom was peer-to-peer networking

Currently it's indeed peer-to-peer.
    But with SDL (without need for DosBox) - maybe something else can be invented. If it can - we'll see it in NetKeen SDL :)

I guess we will have to wait and see. Keep us posted if anything happens.

StarWolf wrote:

Me :D (Though I was not the only one to release such a pack) Even released them for free use.
    As were 8-dir shooting frames for most of other Wolf3D enemies (beside Bosses) - released by me for free use...
    I did even more, but that's a bit classified :roll:

Even 8-dir BJ attack frames! Nice. :Bravo: It's good to know we are ready on the art front for NetWolfSDL!
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 01 Feb 2012, 14:49

linuxwolf wrote:You know what would be awesome in NetWolfSDL? Cooperative play! Just imagine how it would feel to gun down Nazis with your buddies online.

Coop is my ever favourite mode. Played alot of it on "Doom Legacy" SplitScreen port.
    DM sucks :) Well...not really...but much less fun...a

Good to know. Thanks for explaining it to me. I didn't expect IPX to work over the Internet but with DosBox IPX tunneling it makes sense that this is possible.

I'm not sure what IPX or tunneling are...I just try to sound smart :oops: :roll:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy-a0PzCw1E[/youtube]

It sounds like he had a lot of fun doing NetKeen. NetWolfSDL should be a walk in the park for Lemm.

Lemm is a true code master :)
    On Keen forum if you need good coding - you turn to Lemm...and to Ceilick or Tulip - for art. True pixel masters those are...much better than me.

But IFAIK he wasn't the actually one to do the Keen 4 reverse engineering, he just used project of another guy:

The game's foundation is built on the code present in the original keen (and Wolf3D) games, so the engine and the game mechanics are near 100% authentic. Most of what I created was just glue and polish to make it playable. I made extensive use of Andy Durdin's Keen 4 reverse engineering project (which was very well-formatted and extremely precise) as well as the modkeen program for importing the data.

There may still be a few issues with the game. First of all, the game is designed for LAN play (it is peer-to-peer, not server-client), and it performs pretty decently (very little to no lag, maybe 5% of the games fail to start for some reason). You CAN play it over the internet using DOSBox IPX tunneling, but the game will probably not be playable for 4 players if they are scattered all over the globe

I guess we will have to wait and see. Keep us posted if anything happens.

:good:

Even 8-dir BJ attack frames!

Yep :)
    Also included are Lost Episodes/WSJ guards.

Nice. :Bravo: It's good to know we are ready on the art front for NetWolfSDL!

Yes, we have. It's mostly a coding challenge :)
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby linuxwolf 02 Feb 2012, 01:08

DM would probably suck in Wolf3d. However an in-between mode, a kind of "single player" DM, would be fun. You have one player in control of BJ and the rest of the players control the guards. When a guard dies, the player in control of him is automatically spawned into an idle guard in the next room. The guard who kills BJ is granted control of BJ in the next round.

I would like to be an SS. xixixi
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 02 Feb 2012, 09:59

linuxwolf wrote:DM would probably suck in Wolf3d

Well...depending on mapping and additional features IMO.\
    But I agree Keen fits DM much better.

However an in-between mode, a kind of "single player" DM, would be fun. You have one player in control of BJ and the rest of the players control the guards.

Sorry, sounds too weird :no:
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby DoomJedi 02 Feb 2012, 22:37

Lemm wrote:I tried to register... but I haven't received a confirmation email yet.

Dean? Ron? Can you help to register Lemm "manually" on DHW?
    We need no confirmation...as I know this guy, he can be trusted.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby DoomJedi 02 Feb 2012, 22:46

Lemm wrote:I'm probably not going to finish Netkeen for SDL... or at least not in the near future.

I wanted to ask if there was an updated source for the original wolf3d that had bugfixes from the community.

I was thinking about toying around with the net wolf idea... i don't know if it would actually get done or not though. It wouldn't be done any time soon, regardless.

Guys, do we have an answer to Lemm? Coders? Is there "DosWolf" bugfixed? Which bug he can refer to?
    NetWolf is in stake :)
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Next

Return to General Wolf3D/modding Discussion and tutorials