• View unanswered postsView active topics

• [spoilers] Guns and Glory

Discuss Wolf3D and Wolf3D modding/ports

Postby Metalor 11 Apr 2012, 20:29

Thanks. I wanted to use the glass in my last mod, but couldn't get it to work the way I got it to work now. I'm glad with how it all came out.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 18 Apr 2012, 03:54

I'm nearly done with the bug fixes and concerns that have been reported for the next EXE release.

The real news however is that I'm considering adding another difficulty to the game:

"Loser Mode"

In Loser Mode:
    - The enemies have severely increased health (i.e. Easy = 100, Normal = 200, Hard = 300, Loser Mode = 600).
    - The player's ammo capacity is twice what it is in the other difficulties (to a maximum of 99).
    - Pickups and weapons provide twice as much ammo as normally.
    - The Pistol and Machinegun weapons are set to Hitscan weapons like the Sniper Rifle.
    - The player can hold twice as many Medkits.

The new difficulty will thus me more in-tune with the original Wolfenstein, while still keeping in tune with making the game challenging.

Of course this decision is not final, but this could still be a way for players who can't cut it with the projectile weapons to compete in the contest. Vent your objections and comments here to let me know what you think.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 21 Apr 2012, 01:44

An updated version of Guns and Glory 0.5: The Story Retold is now up at The Dome.

The EXE makes the following changes:

- The crosshair now functions with all weapons
    - The crosshair can now be toggled in the menu rather than by pressing the X key
    - Shading can be toggled in the menu
    - Enemies light up when attacking, certain projectiles also light up
    - The Arrow keys can now be customized, but the WASD keys cannot
    - Re-tuned a few of the game's menus
    - Fixed several graphics and layout bugs, such as the player starting a level with a disguise
    - Some other, minor miscellaneous changes to the game's code, levels, and graphics

The Game can be found here: http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/news.htm
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 03 Apr 2013, 01:55

Well, yesterday was the 1st anniversary of the release of Guns and Glory 0.5: The Story Retold. I wanted to release something for the occasion, but I got caught up with the holidays and schoolwork, so I'll have to put it on hold for a bit. But I can tell you that soon, I'll be releasing detailed walkthroughs of each level one at a time which will include both a 100% completion walkthrough, and a speedrun walkthrough.

The walkthroughs will be posted in a seperate thread. I'm currently in the process of making a format for the walkthroughs that will be easy to understand that will include both an editor's picture of the layout of the level, and a legend for the layout.

Also, when I stop being overwhelmed with my day-to-day pitter-patter, I'll be posting more sprites in the contest thread.

Until then, keep wolfing, and keep checking in.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

The following user would like to thank Metalor for this post
    DoomJedi

Postby Dean 22 Apr 2013, 15:16

So, since you've put the walkthrough's up I've tried playing this again. I suspect you may have heard similar to this but here's some feedback on the first 4 levels;
    - The Health level is just way too low, like seriously, frustratingly low. I thought I'd do a review as well while playing it, when I do that I always keep a recond of the number of times I die. Total = 43 times in the first 2 levels... I remember that this is why I gave up playing it all the other times. This time I had the walkthrough and still got killed repeatedly. The pistol seems far too weak, I mean it take multiple shots to even take a dog down! The guards seem to have the same gun but it takes more shots to kill them than it does for them to kill me..
    - The mod looks beautiful, I have to compliment you on the artwork, it is extremely well done.
    - I like the music, it's nice to play 'guess that tune' each level ;)
    - I'm really hoping that this either gets easier when I find some bigger weapons or I get used to the mod and can start doing better at avoiding the enemies gunshots, they just seem a lot more accurate than I can be..
    - I also think the ammo level is too low, both on your maximum allowance as well as how much you get in ammo clips. I'm spending just way too much time backtracking to try to find ammo knowing that even 20 may not be enough to fight 2 or 3 basic guards.
    - I am looking forward to a lot more of the cultural references that I get the impression are hidden throughout the mod, I know you are big on this stuff, and I'm sure you have down incredible artwork for each.

I'll give more feedback the further I get into the mod. I don't want you to think I hate the mod, I really don't, I've always thoroughly enjoyed your work Ian, but I just have to be honest about how hard I find this.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 22 Apr 2013, 21:36

I will not lie, this mod will be very challenging because it is a very foreign form of gameplay. The reason why it wound up being so hard was because I was making this mod in mind of myself. I made this mod for me. The difficulty and gameplay are what spawned out of that desire to satisfy whatever depraved desires I had in making this mod the way it is.

I take it you're playing on Hard, I will tell you, the game will get harder and harder to be sure, but by level 7, you'll have all of the weapons the game has to offer. The first 6 levels are actually sort of the "weening" process (in lou of a better word). They'll introduce you to the Knife, Pistol, Machine Gun, Medkits, the five basic enemies of Wolfenstein (as re-imagined here), and even Hans Grosse. It's sort of difficult to explain the entire process of how I set this all up, but the best way to fight your enemies is to know how they work:

Each difficulty level sets the health limit a bit differently for all of the game's enemies. Easy reduces their health by half and Hard increases it by half (with normal giving most enemies the exact amount of health as the player). The challenge will most likely stem from them having that spike of health in comparison to the player. There is an explanation for this inside of the game's staggering manual. But I figure it'll be best to receive the information from the horse's mouth instead.

On Hard: Enemies can withstand 50% more damage from your weapons (so the pistol will typically take about 6 shots for most regular gaurds, 3 for dogs, and 9 for ss, with a staggering 60 shots for bosses). There are also 25% more enemies than on Easy (with another 25% coming from the Medium difficulty).

If you aren't already, use the crosshair function. This may obstruct a small part of your view but it will make your shots more accurate. Also note that I never changed the size of the projectiles, so in some cases your shots may appear inaccurate simply because the bullets are too big and they're colliding with nearby objects instead of the enemies, likewise the enemies may be able to hit you when they probably would have otherwise missed.

As far as ammo is concerned I was always sort of at odds with how much ammunition the player was able to hold, so I toned it down so that ammo wasn't plentiful, but also seemed realistic in a way (a tragic irony I'm sure). For instance, the pistol holds 20 rounds normally and 40 with the backpack. This seemed more reasonable to me than the 99~150 bullets that you could hold in other mods. Of course, those were "pooled" ammunition pools for each weapon, so it sort of worked out there, but adding the maximum possible ammo for the pistol and Machine gun alone gives you 40+80=120 shots. That alone is 600 health-worth of damage. That's enough to outright kill 2 bosses or 20 guards (on hard, that amount increases to 3 bosses or 30 guards on Medium, and 6 bosses and 60 guards on Easy).

You'll likely just have to hang in there. The game is indeed difficult, I made sure of that in spades. But again, I made this mod for me. I wanted the difficulty, because, due in part to my playstyle, I will probably find this style of gameplay much easier to handle (memorizing how much health each enemy has also helps, likewise how much damage each weapon does). This game is not impossible, I made sure of that, and other players have attested to this in some way or form, but it will kills you a heck of a lot. To be sure, I'll make sure my next mod(s) aren't anywhere near as difficult as this one (no more 20 health for one).

Also, one last note: Level 7 will introduce body armor. This can effectively increase your health by 15~20 points. And that might help ease the strain that you've been experiencing.

And as far as health is concerned, you should blame the game Crash Bash (of Crash Bandicoot fame). I wanted to make a game that had health geared toward what you would expect in the Crate Crush minigames. You'd basically be stuck with 20 health against 3 other players of equal health and you'd fight amongst yourselves until one was left. Originally, I had planned for everything to be akin to that style of gameplay (knives did 1 damage instead of 3 like they do now, Grenades did only 8 damage instead of 20, and other such tidbits). I eventually changed this, but of course, to keep everything in line with how I had set out, the bullets stayed doing 5 damage for both the player and enemies, as well as the player being just as susceptible to the enemy's power as they were. (with the harder difficulty setting sort of nerfing the player's weapon to make the game that much harder).

Again, to be sure I won't be doing this in the future, but this effect does give Guns and Glory a difficulty all its own. I guess the only way I really tried to compensate players was the contest, so that they could brag that they did indeed beat this very difficult game. But that flopped, so y'know. I guess I'll just have to make it up to players later (that or release another gameplay modifying build that reduces enemy health or enemy damage). Regardless of a new build possibility or not, I want to at least finish publishing the walkthroughs. Perhaps knowing what lies ahead will help players overcome the trials I've set in place before them.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 23 Apr 2013, 09:39

Thanks for explanation Ian, much appreciated. I can certainly see what you've tried to hear and I do applaud you for making something individual that doesn't just mimic what everyone else is making. I feel the walkthrough's are going to be a big help to everyone that wants to play this but it finding it quite difficult.
    Yes, I am playing on Hard, I want all those damn trophies! I've got the machine gun now, and I've completed Level 4, fighting the SS gave me great practice in manuevers and I find I'm killing basic guards much easier now, using corners and angles to duck around fire off a shot or more then duck back before being hit seems to be the way to go. My acuracy is improving, and I hadn't been using the crosshair so will try that also. I've gotten better at once I have the enemy lined up firing more than 1 shot at a time, which makes a big difference also.
    I'll provide more feedback as I go.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 23 Apr 2013, 09:46

Sounds like you're getting the hang of things. Yes, the SS are amongst the strongest foes, they're great for learning how to fight off tough foes.

I guess the "weening" is finally starting to happen then. You just have to learn the game's groove is all, and it should be beatable.
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 24 Jun 2013, 03:38

With the Walkthrough just about half-completed at this point, I've started working on something for those of you still checking out the game, giving it a go, and just providing mild interest in my project.

As of two days ago, I've begun work on another EXE build for Guns and Glory 0.5, and it has already neared completion (all of the features I've set out to add have been implemented, I just need to test them and whatnot).

I decided to make this build simply because I love customization, and I want people to play my game and enjoy it. With the new features I've implemented, I'm certain the game will garner new attention, and perhaps spike interest in making maps for the community map release set (which still has only 3 completed maps, 2 of which are by me).

Anyways, I don't want to keep players in the dark about what to expect so here's a short summary to explain what the changes I've made are.

*First of all, the changes I've made are not mandatory for playing the game. You're free to play with or without them. What I mean by this is that I've added a new "Game Customization" menu inside the Controls Menu with ten options to allow players to customize certain aspects about the game. They act much in the same way as the Shading and Crosshair toggles work, as implemented in previous builds, however, instead of merely changing or correcting some graphical aspects of the game, these functions change how the game itself plays.

The features include the following:
    * Player Projectiles are half-sized. This means that the game now considers the player's projectiles to be half their size, and are thus smaller. This makes it so that the player's projectiles are less likely to hit blocking objects. However, there's a double-edged nature to this, as now the player's projectiles are less likely to hit enemies unless aimed really well. So, less likely to hit objects, but less likely to hit enemies, so it's a compromise. A possible plus side to this feature is that it will prompt players to improve their aim and sharpshooting, making the basic gameplay pathetically east if mastered (or at the very least, easier than with this feature toggled on).

* Enemy projectiles are half-sized. This one acts basically the same way as the above feature, except it makes enemies projectiles smaller. This one can actually be quite useful, as it makes dodging enemy fire much easier (projectiles can actually take up 1/3 of either the left or right of your screen and still not hit you if this is toggled). A fine choice for those that have trouble dodging enemy fire.

* Super Backpacks. This feature allows backpacks to max out the ammo capacities of all of your weapons (to a maximum of 99 ammo for each weapon). Just imagine how with this toggled, you can carry around 99 Stielhandts.

* Always Automap. With this toggled, the Automap will always function, regardless of what difficulty you're playing on.

* Enemies can't pick up health. Remember the good ol' days of Wolfenstein, when enemies couldn't pick up health items? Well, return to those glory days of yore by toggling this, and enemies will no longer be able to restore that hard-delivered battle damage.

* Enemies die in one hit. Now this feature has a tendency to cause some game-destroying havoc (such as when you use it to rely on fighting bosses), but aside from some muck in the secret levels, this feature should enable players to deal with even the hardest difficulty with ease. Toggling this can make the game pathetically easy, but also can rob the game of the actual fun. Use this feature only when you're playing simply to go crazy or whatever.

* Receive an Extra Life for every 40,000 points. Guns and Glory 0.5 is hard. One of the reasons may be that you have to get 100,000 points for a stinkin' extra life. Rectify that by toggling this feature, and you'll never run out of extra lives again.

* Guards give points when killed. This feature makes it so that regular enemies will give points when killed, much like the original Wolfenstein. Makes it easier to get the aforementioned extra lives, in case you don't want a 40k 1-up bonus, but you still want to get some benefit for your trials.

* Survival Mode. More like an extra difficulty level without actually making it one, this feature sets all damage that you receive to 1, but you can't pick up health, armor, or gain any extra lives. Alone, this feature seems pretty insane (much less, impossible to actually beat the game using), but with the next feature (and maybe enemies die in one hit), it won't seem so insane:

* Play like original Wolfenstein. That's right, toggle this to do away with all of the flying projectiles, flippin' 20 health and armor, and no hitscan weapons. Toggling this feature allows all of your bullet weapons to behave the way they did in the original, and also gvies you a huge health and armor boost (capping at 99). Most enemies will also attack like they used to, and aside from certain foes (such as Schabbs, who always used projectile weapons), it should help to simulate the original playing experience.

To get a full original experience, toggling: "Play like original Wolfenstein," "Guards give points when killed," "Receive an extra life for 40,000 points," and "Enemies can't pick up health" should do the trick.

Currently, none of the features are barred from use, so one can essentially make the game pathetically easy and, (dare I say it?) boring. Thus, I'll likely implement ways to make the play have to work to activate certain features (such as the Enemies die in one hit feature, that's a game breaker).

So, comments? Tell me what you think. Should a feature stay, should it go? Or just perfect what I've already implemented thus far and send it in?
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Metalor 27 Jul 2013, 00:29

Although not necessarily related to the "Guns and Glory" of this topic, what I'd like to share is going to be from another Guns and Glory that I'm currently working on (G&G2).

I thought I'd just share these two bruisers I've made for the game:

Image Image

The first one is one of the game's bosses: The Crusher, the second one, the Elite Soldier is sort of a mini-boss.

Figured I'd share something new, since G&G0.5 is all I've been tooting for the last few months (but then again, G&G2 probably isn't a step in the right direction).
    Metalor
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

PreviousNext

Return to General Wolf3D/modding Discussion and tutorials