• View unanswered postsView active topics

• Demo - Tricob's Base Of Operations

Discuss Wolf3D and Wolf3D modding/ports

Postby Tricob1974 11 Dec 2011, 07:22

I invite any DieHard Wolfer to test out this source code for Wolf4SDL. It's specifically designed for beginners, and it has many tutorials already put in, such as in-game messages, animated objects, Enemies Bleed When Shot, Wall Patches, and more. Turning these features on and off is easy. For example, to turn off the "Read This!", you simply change this line:
    Code: Select all
    #define ENABLEREADTHIS        // Enable the "Read This!" feature in the main menu

... to this:
    //#define ENABLEREADTHIS        // Enable the "Read This!" feature in the main menu

Then save your file, and tell the compiler to Rebuild. The feature is now turned off.

Changing Par Times, ceiling colors, Episode names, and in-game messages is also much easier. You don't have to go into the middle of CPP files anymore to change things. Just go into an H file, change things from there, and tell the compiler to Rebuild the EXE.

The layout of the Par Times is easier to work with, too. This is what the layout is like now:

// Episode One Par Times
    "01:30", "02:00", "02:00", "03:30", "03:00",
    "03:00", "02:30", "02:30", "??:??", "??:??",

// Episode Two Par Times
    "01:30", "03:30", "03:00", "02:00", "04:00",
    "06:00", "01:00", "03:00", "??:??", "??:??",

If you want to see a demo of what the source code has to offer, click this link.

The source code should (hopefully) be ready to download by tomorrow night.
    Tricob1974

Postby WolferCooker 14 Dec 2011, 01:50

I have a question. Are there more features in the source code than shown in the demo?
    WolferCooker

Postby Tricob1974 14 Dec 2011, 02:21

Yep; check MyMod4SDL.TXT, and you'll see many extra features listed, or aren't too noticeable in the demo:

* Ignores the NUMCHUNKS error bullshit from the original Wolf4SDL. You can re-enable it if you like. (enabled)
    * Weapon bobbing. I'm not very into this feature.
    * Disable Spear Of Destiny copy-protection quizzes.
    * Change the filenames to anything you like
    * Replace the "Call Apogee Say Aardwolf" logo with the Spear Of Destiny "ammo box" (enabled)
    * Disable the Id cancelled contest gobbldegook (enabled)
    * Enable the game to load the sign-on screen from the VGAGRAPH file (enabled)
    * Change the sign-on screen to v1.0, v1.1, v1.2, and so on.
    * Disable the sign-on screen altogether
    * Disable the "Read This!" feature
    * Enable Seamless Levels
    * Disable the PC-13 screen
    * The GFXV files shouldn't be so easy to "break" as in the original Wolf4SDL
    * Change the speed of the enemies when they're in Attack Mode
    * 90+ walls enabled (enabled)
    * 128+ doors (enabled)
    * "Spacebar scans enemies" feature. This identifies any enemy directly in front of you. (enabled)

I have other features enabled as well. The documentation will describe the features in more detail, and I'm working on the docs right now. :)
    Tricob1974

Postby WolferCooker 14 Dec 2011, 02:52

Actually I saw that. I thought the list was only for the demo version and you didn't want to reveal too much until the source code is released.

It's all good though! Hopefully I will use your source code as a base for any mods I might make in the future! :D
    WolferCooker

Postby Tricob1974 15 Dec 2011, 04:15

Hm ... I somehow forgot to put Blake Stone-style doors onto the list. :fool:

Update: I updated the VGAGRAPH files. The self-running demos shouldn't crash now, and the menu titles should be corrected now.
    Tricob1974

Postby WolferCooker 15 Dec 2011, 09:10

If you were to start mapping right now, how do you disable the end message after you completed the only level so the whole game doesn't exit on you?
    WolferCooker

Postby Tricob1974 16 Dec 2011, 03:51

WolferCooker wrote:If you were to start mapping right now, how do you disable the end message after you completed the only level so the whole game doesn't exit on you?
    Ah, good; I almost forgot about that. In (CUSTOM).H, look for the line:
    #define MYMODDEMO             // Make "demo" version with one episode and a small number of levels

Change it to:
    //#define MYMODDEMO             // Make "demo" version with one episode and a small number of levels

... and then Rebuild.

Mapping is over 90% done now, BTW. I just have to finish redoing E6L8. I've decided I should really fix a long-known bug in the code, and this bug has plagued the engine since its Wolf3D inception. Andy has mentioned this bug a number of times, and I suggested a coding solution that he seemed to have misunderstood. :unknown:

As such, I've decided that E6L8's missing sequences will be designed so that they don't work properly until the bug is fixed. IMO, it's time to rid the code of this bug once and for all, and remove one of Wolf4SDL's map-design boundaries. :)
    Tricob1974

Postby WolferCooker 16 Dec 2011, 05:07

Ah okay. Cool!

Good luck on attempting to remove this bug.
    WolferCooker

Postby Tricob1974 17 Dec 2011, 03:37

Well, I've designed the first "temporarily buggy" version of the map now, and the code's put in place. But it took so long to design the code and map sequences, I didn't even have time to test it out last night. Hopefully, this "Deaf guard bug" will be resolved with my changes. I'm about to go into town tonight with some friends, so maybe I can check this out after I get back.
    Tricob1974

Postby WolferCooker 21 Dec 2011, 04:43

I'm curious here. Once the source code is released, how do you add new walls and floor/ceiling textures?
    WolferCooker

Next

Return to General Wolf3D/modding Discussion and tutorials