• View unanswered postsView active topics

• Wolf3d SDL coding tutorials (?)

Discuss Wolf3D and Wolf3D modding/ports

Postby WolferCooker 07 Dec 2011, 02:40

That's a good idea. Email sent.
    WolferCooker

Postby Ron 07 Dec 2011, 02:57

I think a lot of the code tutorials on DHW could use the 4SDL treatment - and a list of tutorials like they had for the original source code would be useful as well. :)
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby WolferCooker 07 Dec 2011, 03:03

Yeah I looked at some of them at DHW, but I'm gonna hold off on using them until the 4SDL versions are made.
    WolferCooker

Postby Tricob1974 07 Dec 2011, 06:34

WolferCooker - I deleted the CONFIG.WL6 file where the game is, and the game did everything it should. Could you try it on your end? I haven't run the source code yet, just the EXE you provided.
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Tricob1974 07 Dec 2011, 06:37

WolferCooker wrote:Yeah I looked at some of them at DHW, but I'm gonna hold off on using them until the 4SDL versions are made.
    That's where Base Of Operations may come in handy for you. Many of the tutorials are already put in the code for you. All you have to do is take out a "//", and it's switched on. :)
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby WolferCooker 07 Dec 2011, 06:39

Well I'll be. It works! I never thought the CONFIG file was the problem! Thanks Tricob!

I've heard of Base of Operations. I'd like to see that myself! Thanks for the tip!
    WolferCooker

Postby Tricob1974 07 Dec 2011, 08:54

Well WolferCooker, you're in luck, as it's about time to gather volunteers to test the code, and make sure it does everything it's supposed to. I have just one more code change to make before it begins the beta-testing phase. IIRC, Ron was also interested in testing it out. :)
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby WolferCooker 07 Dec 2011, 20:24

I may only be a rookie and I may not recognize every single coding change you used right away during gameplay, but it would be an honor to be one of your beta testers. :D
    WolferCooker

Postby Tricob1974 08 Dec 2011, 01:46

WolferCooker wrote:I may only be a rookie and I may not recognize every single coding change you used right away during gameplay, but it would be an honor to be one of your beta testers. :D
    Well, that's the beauty of it; descriptions of each feature are included, so you can be pretty sure what you're enabling or disabling. And even if you're not sure, the demo EXE has most of these features turned on, so you can see the features in action.

The code is pretty much done at this point, so now I'll write some documentation for it. I also need to test the AUTOINTER code and see exactly what file it pulls up for Level 1 in Shareware Wolf3D.
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby WolferCooker 08 Dec 2011, 02:10

Oh cool!

Hey I got another question for you. How do you change the firing speed of the weapons?
    WolferCooker

Postby Tricob1974 09 Dec 2011, 01:49

WolferCooker wrote:How do you change the firing speed of the weapons?
    In WL_AGENT.CPP, you'll find a group of numbers in threes, which look like this:
    Code: Select all
    {6,0,1}
    The first number of this trio is the speed. The smaller the number, the faster the speed.

I don't recommend setting the number lower than 2, as that will make the weapon act strangely when the game skips even just than one frame.
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby WolferCooker 09 Dec 2011, 04:00

Okay thanks!

EDIT: I already know off the bat that adding a rocket launcher, flamethrower, or any weapon that fires projectiles is gonna be different than adding a regular bullet-type weapon. How hard could it be?
    WolferCooker

Postby Tricob1974 09 Dec 2011, 07:00

It's not hard at all; when I enabled the Rocket Launcher in WolfDX, I just Copyed and Pasted the line of numbers from the Pistol weapon, and the control worked fine. The weapon still had problems afterwards, but that was for reasons that had nothing to do with the weapon code. :)
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby WolferCooker 09 Dec 2011, 07:26

Sounds easy enough there, but if I just do that, the rocket launcher will fire like it's a bullet-type weapon would it? How do you actually get your weapon to fire projectiles?
    WolferCooker

Postby Tricob1974 09 Dec 2011, 17:21

The rest of the code is written by Richter Belmont. He posted a tutorial on it many months back.
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

PreviousNext

Return to General Wolf3D/modding Discussion and tutorials