• View unanswered postsView active topics

• Wolf3d SDL coding tutorials (?)

Discuss Wolf3D and Wolf3D modding/ports

Postby WolferCooker 17 Nov 2011, 01:33

Okay I wanna put what I learned with C++ so far in class to the test here with Wolf3d. I wanna see for myself if I can first set up the EXE.

I would like to know how different the tutorials are between DOS and SDL, and I want to try the SDL version.

Can you guys please help me out on what exactly to do here? I understand some things on C++ a little better now.
    WolferCooker

Postby Tricob1974 17 Nov 2011, 05:11

Different parts of the code work different ways. But I'd say the graphics part of the code works the most differently of all. I still haven't figured out all the differences to be honest, and my not knowing much about the raycaster doesn't help me much. :(
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby WolferCooker 17 Nov 2011, 05:20

Sorry to hear that Tricob. I just wish Borland wasn't so confusing to use. I don't think I would have as much trouble if Microsoft Visual Studio was also another program to set up the Wolf3d EXE and make coding changes other than just compiling them.
    WolferCooker

Postby Tricob1974 17 Nov 2011, 09:03

WolferCooker wrote:I just wish Borland wasn't so confusing to use.
    I never had much trouble working with the Borland compiler, but I suppose taking things step-by-step just comes naturally for me. I started programming at an early age, and in this case, it helps me out a lot. :)

On the flip side, I've always been terrible with the mouse. I do understand the reasons for its appeal, but I don't really agree with those reasons. My coordination with the mouse has always been below-average, and it's always kept me from enjoying GUIs more. I avoid using the mouse whenever possible. :(
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 17 Nov 2011, 15:37

http://wolf3d.darkbb.com/t1521-compilin ... with-dev-c

This is to set up the Wolf4SDL engine. Works for me. :) Apart from that, try some tutorials and try to understand what they do.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby WolferCooker 18 Nov 2011, 02:14

EDIT: I have successfully compiled Wolf4sdl.exe with WLHack's instructions. However, SDL.dll is missing, which I already know and will be easy to find from other mods, but WHERE should I put the SDL.dll file at?
    WolferCooker

Postby Ron 18 Nov 2011, 02:55

In the map where you have all your game files (like VSWAP.WL6 etc.).
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby WolferCooker 18 Nov 2011, 03:08

Ah okay, so I gotta save the Wolf4sdl.exe first before doing that right?

EDIT: Okay, apparently you don't need to compile and run. Just compile to get the EXE. Now here's the next problem, where do I get all the .WL6 files (AUDIOHED, AUDIOT, etc.) in order to help make this all run?
    WolferCooker

Postby Ron 18 Nov 2011, 04:23

If you have the complete version of Wolfenstein 3D you should have all those files.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby WolferCooker 18 Nov 2011, 04:31

ok then

EDIT: Okay it works! I guess that's a milestone for a rookie!
    WolferCooker

Postby Tricob1974 19 Nov 2011, 02:00

My mistake, Wolfercooker. When you said the Borland compiler, I thought you were referring to BC 3.1. Sorry for the confusion. :)
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby WolferCooker 19 Nov 2011, 02:07

Don't worry about it.

I wanna try my first coding change. How do you set up in-game messages, like when you pick up an item or activate a pushwall? WSJ's tutorial only works on the DOS.

EDIT: I did another coding change instead with the animated sprites with the puddle and chandelier (WLHack made a tutorial there at DHW very recently) and I successfully implemented it in though I can't balance out the animation sprites correctly and screws up all the sprite placements when I add sprites.

I'm still curious with the in-game messages feature though.
    WolferCooker

Postby Tricob1974 19 Nov 2011, 18:59

You may find it easier to program Animated Sprites with this tutorial. But what's easier for me isn't necessarily easier for other people. :)

How exactly do you have the sprites laid out in the VSWAP? Did you insert new frames for the puddle and chandelier, or did you simply replace the images with different ones?
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby WolferCooker 20 Nov 2011, 00:39

Did you insert new frames for the puddle and chandelier, or did you simply replace the images with different ones?

I did both, at least for the chandelier. I did insert a puddle in the map of the first level to see how it works, but every sprite went out of wack. non-chandelier lights became columns, guards dying while they were shooting, etc. It was funny.

I used the old candle chandelier from Coming of the Storm. Everything went out of wack, but the chandelier animation worked. lol!
    WolferCooker

Postby Andy 20 Nov 2011, 02:19

When you added the sprite to the VSWAP did you also add a corresponding sprite entry in WL_DEF.H? If not, everything gets offset by one like you described. If you did add it, then you must do a "rebuild all" or else your .H file edits will not get added to your new EXE. Merely compiling won't pick up the header file changes.

Hope this helps,
    Andy
    Andy
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Next

Return to General Wolf3D/modding Discussion and tutorials