• New Doom

Discuss any other game beside Wolf3D

Postby DoomJedi 15 Jun 2015, 08:40

Looks great, ah? :)

DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Ron 15 Jun 2015, 23:16

It looks more vibrant and action-packed compared to the dark Doom 3. But it also looks more generic, while I would argue that Doom 3 had more of a distinct personality (even though it was so repetitive that it got boring after a while). That said, I do see that it's trying to get closer to the original. All in all, setting looks okay, but can't say I'm thoroughly impressed. Just another trailer that relies really heavy on fan-service.

Also, the audience cheering for weapons is kinda dumb. It's not like you've never seen a shotgun in a game before :D
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 16 Jun 2015, 09:03

Yes, those "Apple-like" applause was too much :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NteAPGprDJk[/youtube]

I like it. How faithful monster designs are to the original, how close it is to the overall feel of the original Doom...door sounds...also cool gameplay ideas...
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Ron 16 Jun 2015, 16:44

Well, cool gameplay ideas.. this all fairly standard, to be honest. Such special kills are not that special anymore. It all looks fairly average and not that outstanding, apart from the name.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby linuxwolf 19 Jun 2015, 18:40

The mortal combat take down feature was perfect for this E3 demo - the crowd went wild over it. I have to admit I was impressed with it also. I like the wall climbing and the hands being visible when interacting with the environment and during the take downs. It was a very well done feature despite taking control over the player at times.

The double jump feature made the game feel like street fighter/mortal combat game in another way. It seems they are trying to blend multiple elements from those street fighter games into Doom. I'm not sure why they decided to do this but it all seems to work pretty well.

Overall I am impressed with what is shown in this E3 demo of the new Doom.
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

The following user would like to thank linuxwolf for this post
    DoomJedi

Postby WLHack 11 May 2016, 21:36

So how much are you hyped for this?
    After seeing the devs playing it on a stream I actually got my hopes up.
    It seems like they have added lot of flags to remove all features like glory kills so you can play it like original Doom with some improvements to gameplay.,.
    WLHack

Postby DoomJedi 11 May 2016, 22:00

Sounds like a good idea :)
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby DoomJedi 11 May 2016, 22:04

I've very hyped, but I haven't played a modern game since...almost never.
    I have a new comp though...but still, I probably will never play it.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Ron 14 May 2016, 14:48

The most important thing it needs to do is be fun. It won't reinvent the wheel or anything, but my biggest complaint about Doom 3 is that it was repetitive and just plain boring after a while. As long as it's fast-paced and a blast to play, it'll be fine.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby WLHack 14 May 2016, 15:43

I have now played the first two levels and I can assure it is fun and fast-paced.
    I will write actual review once I have completed the game but so far it has surprised my positively.
    There seems to be a nice amount of variation between enemies and weapons and some secrets
    are actually hard to find even though you can see them in automap.
    WLHack

Postby DoomJedi 14 May 2016, 16:20

Sounds great :)

Never played Doom 3....this one I might give a try. I like how it's loyal to the original Doom in designs
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby linuxwolf 14 May 2016, 22:02

I've played through 4 or 5 levels now and have almost defeated the first hell map. I couldn't stop playing it as soon as I picked up the controller. They've done an amazing job on this.

The story is interwoven into the game play by interacting with other characters and listening to dialogue. I think this is done in an exceptional way considering what you'd expect from Doom. I thought it was cool the developers were able to convey your main character's reaction to the story along the way using the hand animations - carefully choreographed alongside the musical score. Incredibly well done and keeps you interested along the way.

I won't say too much as I don't want to spoil any of the surprises for you if you haven't played the new Doom.
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Return to Other games