• View unanswered postsView active topics

• Flappy Bird

Discuss any other game beside Wolf3D

Postby DoomJedi 09 Feb 2014, 09:21

DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Tricob1974 10 Feb 2014, 08:00

StarWolf wrote:This was so me a few years ago....minus 200.000$ per day.
    I understand exactly what you're saying here. :)

Regarding the "lack of hate posts" related to his Twitter account, I think the writer is forgetting that posts in Twitter can be deleted.

If we ever go and create anything, I think life is drop-dead determined to give us irony at some point. Boys Don't Cry is a band who mostly does "hair band" songs, but the only song of theirs to ever make the Top 20 is an Experimental Rock song with Western overtones. There are lots of other bands, game-makers, and actors who find themselves in similar binds, where the only things they're recognized for are things that don't and/or can't do on a normal basis. That sort of thing can make a lot of people uptight, and each and every person probably has their own unique reason for it (if not, several).

One of my most hailed story creations is a sci-fi thriller with a very "modern" feel to it ("Zero Hour"); it took those terrible 1990s sci-fi films, and removed the worst elements. It was based on an Atari 2600 called "Yar's Revenge". I knew how many awful movies were based on video games, and I didn't really want to add to the mix. But I wrote it to get it out of my system. The thriller seems very by-the-numbers to me, but so far, no one finds it the least bit predictable.

On a similar note, I wrote a sparse, 2000-ish pop song which seems more appropriate for Kelly Clarkson then myself, and I didn't even realize it was a pop song when I composed it (It was called "Revolt", a.k.a. "SonderCommandos Unite!"). Many people have said this is the best instrumental I've ever done.

Does this mean I've done a Wolf mod that fits into such a category? I don't know, but I wouldn't rule it out.

I think the best way to deal with such things is simply to see what doors this project opens up for you, and take the route that will best help you grow and develop as a designer.
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 17 Feb 2014, 17:01

I was experimenting a bit with the code and discovered how to get the player killed by touching the walls. If we could find some way to move him forward all the time, we could have Flappy BJ. :D
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

The following user would like to thank Ron for this post
    Lozer_42

Postby DoomJedi 17 Feb 2014, 22:44

Funny idea :)

:good:
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby linuxwolf 17 Feb 2014, 23:31

With destructible doors it could work! :D
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 17 Feb 2014, 23:32

Or just use no doors :D
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Lozer_42 18 Feb 2014, 04:36

Sounds like another one of Ron infamous mini-mods to me! 8)
    Lozer_42
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 18 Feb 2014, 05:06

Basically all I would need coding-wise is for the player to move constantly forward ala what we discussed for the Egypt mod, and for the turning points to turn the players instead of enemies. So basically when you move forward you can only move left and right and have to dodge the walls and go through openings to get to the end of the level. Touching the walls kills you. But of course only going forward would lead to short levels, so the turning points can be used to make use of the full 64x64 grid.

Graphic-wise I would need to recreate the environment of Flappy Bird. So basically Mario, the pipes become wall textures and such. Instead of one of my infamous mini-mod :D we could turn this into an infamous Team Raycast mini-mod.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Tricob1974 18 Feb 2014, 06:26

Ron wrote:Basically all I would need coding-wise is for the player to move constantly forward ala what we discussed for the Egypt mod, and for the turning points to turn the players instead of enemies.
    In WL_PLAY.CPP, look for the routine PollKeyboardMove. Look for:
    Code: Select all
        if (Keyboard[dirscan[di_north]])
            controly -= delta;
    Comment out the top line. I believe that's all you need to do to make the player move forward continuously. You'll want to decrease the number of "BASEMOVE" and "RUNMOVE", though.

As for the arrows controlling the player, I'm pretty sure all the code involved is exclusively in WL_AGENT.CPP. You don't have to disable the arrows for the enemies unless you just want to. :)
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 18 Feb 2014, 16:08

Thanks Tricob, I think that actually might do the trick. :)
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Tricob1974 19 Feb 2014, 04:42

Ron wrote:Thanks Tricob, I think that actually might do the trick. :)
    You're welcome. :) As for the auto-turn thing, it's probably something I have to look through the Planet Strike code to see how it's done.
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 19 Feb 2014, 04:43

Actually, at this point it isn't really need, but hey: perhaps you discover something interesting that can be used in a different spot.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Return to Other games