• View unanswered postsView active topics

• Modern gaming

Discuss any other game beside Wolf3D

Postby DoomJedi 26 Oct 2013, 19:59

Modern gaming worries me....we get addictied to playing alone, staring at the screen....

Before - people were playing with each other outside.....

Later - they played multiplayer games on the net...virtually, but live.....against actual players...

Since facebook gaming and such came in - "multiplayer" now - is each playing home "Candy Crush" or "Angry Birds Friends" with himself - and later comparing their results or bragging about them on facebook....to get some likes and such.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Tricob1974 27 Oct 2013, 00:09

Playing video games instead of playing outside? Yeah - if you live in a bad neighborhood, that tends to happen. And a lot of places - mine included - specialize in bad weather 90% of the time. You can't play outside normally because the weather is so rotten most of the time. This entire summer, I've only seen the sun shine three times in all the weekends that've gone by.

But I'd say a major reason people don't want to go outside is because they simply don't like what they see when they go out: people being jerks to one another, being surrounded by American businesses that won't deliver quality to the consumer, seeing homeless people who could easily get jobs but never do (they get a place during the winter, then go back out in the summer) ... the list goes on. So people just shut themselves out from the world instead.
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby linuxwolf 27 Oct 2013, 02:33

StarWolf wrote:Since facebook gaming and such came in - "multiplayer" now - is each playing home "Candy Crush" or "Angry Birds Friends" with himself - and later comparing their results or bragging about them on facebook....to get some likes and such.

Yes. The higher score you achieve the more popular you become with your friends. That is the reason those games are so popular. Everyone wants to be famous. :roll:
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 27 Oct 2013, 09:17

Tricob1974 wrote:Playing video games instead of playing outside? Yeah - if you live in a bad neighborhood, that tends to happen. And a lot of places - mine included - specialize in bad weather 90% of the time. You can't play outside normally because the weather is so rotten most of the time. This entire summer, I've only seen the sun shine three times in all the weekends that've gone by.

There are boards games too you know....don't have to go outside to play one with another...board games, card games, darts, snooker......
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby DoomJedi 27 Oct 2013, 09:18

linuxwolf wrote:
    StarWolf wrote:Since facebook gaming and such came in - "multiplayer" now - is each playing home "Candy Crush" or "Angry Birds Friends" with himself - and later comparing their results or bragging about them on facebook....to get some likes and such.

Yes. The higher score you achieve the more popular you become with your friends. That is the reason those games are so popular. Everyone wants to be famous. :roll:

Addicted to Candy Crush :)

Yesterday was working hard to beat records in "Angry Birds Friends" of my only friend who was listed there - only to discover she never played it herself, only giving it to play to her little daughter from time to time....
    8-/ 8-/ 8-/
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby linuxwolf 27 Oct 2013, 10:26

Ouch! I'm sorry that happened dude. Better luck next time? :pardon:
    linuxwolf
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Tricob1974 27 Oct 2013, 15:58

StarWolf wrote:There are boards games too you know....don't have to go outside to play one with another...board games, card games, darts, snooker......
    I'm actually very into most of the games you mentioned. For whatever reason though, they're considered "passe", if I'm spelling that word right. :(

Uh, I'm actually not familiar with Snooker ... 8-/
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 27 Oct 2013, 16:38

Tricob1974 wrote:I'm actually very into most of the games you mentioned. For whatever reason though, they're considered "passe", if I'm spelling that word right. :(

Yeah, I grew with all those games, know them by name....even some rare one existed only in Ukraine...I starting my game making by making my own card and boards games....I was inventing, drawing and cutting them myself.
    I know even the rules of Chinese chess and once made a borad for it from paper and coins...
    I also have 1st degree in Chess, achieved it when I was 11.

Uh, I'm actually not familiar with Snooker ... 8-/
    Snooker is pool....just a synonim I use.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Ron 27 Oct 2013, 18:35

I have removed all games from my smartphone except 'De Slimste Mens', a Dutch knowledge quiz that I usually play against friends and family. I just figured that most games would be wasting my time, so I removed them. The app I use the most is Moon Reader, to read books. Apart from Whatsapp and such.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Return to Other games