• View unanswered postsView active topics

• Arrow TV Show (Possible Spoilers)

All the rest (non-gaming) topics

Postby Ron 03 Apr 2015, 17:53

I actually think Gotham is taking the self-references a bit too far.. it is very cringe-worthy, the constant winks to what they'll become. It's kinda stupid, really. Penguin is pretty good, from what I've seen, and I like the main duo. They just need to quit it with the references, and become its own thing. Then, it might have a shot at becoming good.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 14 Apr 2015, 10:49

I'm hearing, and reading, very mixed reports about Gotham. No one I've heard has said they absolutely love it though.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 14 Apr 2015, 11:42

I love it...some actors and characters are weaker than others...but I like the series.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Ron 18 Apr 2015, 15:29

12 episodes in.. so far, I'm liking it. Not a superfan or anything, but a good tv show nevertheless. The backstory on the island is very interesting and compelling, and Arrow is almost constantly pretty badass. That said, all the personal drama is a bit too soap-y and cliché for my taste. I've literally been able to predict what some people are going to say in certain instances, it's kinda boring. But overall, good show so far. The Huntress arc was fantastic!
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

The following user would like to thank Ron for this post
    Dean, DoomJedi

Postby DoomJedi 18 Apr 2015, 16:15

I'm glad you're linking it :)
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Ron 19 Apr 2015, 00:07

Episode 14 was great. Slade Wilson is a great addition to this show! They should do less of all the soap-y interpersonal stuff and focus more on the island. I do think Oliver Queen's mom issues are stretching credibility a bit, but I understand why it's in. Felicity joining the time was obvious, but she's a fun character (even though she is mostly there to cleanly finish up loose ends with her magic computer skillz). I do hope the show doesn't shy away from having a tragic ending this season - Oliver's trust in his mother is surely going to blow up in his face.

I'm also really glad that I'm not aware at all of the whole comic lore of Green Arrow. I'm, at times, genuinly surprised by stuff that would probably be obvious to fans.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 19 Apr 2015, 08:30

Ron wrote:Episode 14 was great. Slade Wilson is a great addition to this show!

Indeed he is :) Manu Bennet does a great job.

They should do less of all the soap-y interpersonal stuff and focus more on the island.

Well...they won't...sorry :)
    Target audience and such (young people). The need to attract both genders.

Felicity joining the time was obvious, but she's a fun character (even though she is mostly there to cleanly finish up loose ends with her magic computer skillz).

Yes, she was originally planned not to be series regular, but her character had great success, her chemistry with Oliver as well, so they made her series regular.

I do hope the show doesn't shy away from having a tragic ending this season
    Well, let me say that each season so far had at least 1 death of one of the main characters. Not always who you might expect.

Plot-wise I think season 1 was the best one overall, because it had the most mystery to it, around notebook and such and most Arrow-ish season...before (in season 3 especially) they started to steal ideas from best Batman comics (Arrow has too little material to work with comics-wise).
    In other areas they are just getting better and better.

I'm also really glad that I'm not aware at all of the whole comic lore of Green Arrow.
    Yeah, it can be cool to watch it fresh :)
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Ron 19 Apr 2015, 16:32

Target audience and such (young people). The need to attract both genders.

I don't mind this, but they do this in the most cliché and obvious way. Romance does not have to be stupid to be appealling, but unfortunately a lot of television writers tend to unnecessarily dumb things down for broad appeal. Where all the superhero/criminal stuff has interesting twists, all the romance stuff is just too obvious and predictable. Writers should never give the audience what they want (or what they think the audience wants), because it is rarely interesting. Thank god for Slade Wilson, who really is my favorite addition to the cast, and of whom I'm sure he will pop up in Starling City in some capacity as well.

Yes, there are some obvious Batman connections. Also the one scene where Arrow is shot by the other archer, and where he calls Diggle, is almost a direct adaption from Batman being poisoned and calling Alfred in Batman Begins.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 19 Apr 2015, 19:05

Ron wrote:I don't mind this, but they do this in the most cliché and obvious way. Romance does not have to be stupid to be appealling, but unfortunately a lot of television writers tend to unnecessarily dumb things down for broad appeal.

I think this part gets better later.

and of whom I'm sure he will pop up in Starling City in some capacity as well.

Won't deny nor approve :roll: :twisted:
    This what usually happens in the show with characters from the Island and flashbacks...in general.

Yes, there are some obvious Batman connections. Also the one scene where Arrow is shot by the other archer, and where he calls Diggle, is almost a direct adaption from Batman being poisoned and calling Alfred in Batman Begins.

Season 3 so far adapted at least 2 great Batman comics (if not 3), with Arrow replacing Batman. Seeing those for the first time in "real" TV show (and not cartoon) is a long dream come true for comic book fans (even with Arrow and not Batman). Including the best dramatic/action scene in "Arrow" TV show so far...epic... The actor that is chosen for one of the villain roles IMO is doing amazing job so far, on par with Manu Bennet...and at first I didn't think he will...but now he defines that role for me...much more than previous movie actor playing that role. Much more true to the source material.

Season 2 was the weakest of the 3 seasons.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Ron 19 Apr 2015, 20:24

Finished season 1. Fantastic ending! It was really satisfying seeing everyone come together to try and save the city.. really well done. I figured Tommy was a goner pretty soon into the season, but I figured it would happen in the showdown. This was a much better way for him to go out, though sad as fuck nevertheless.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 19 Apr 2015, 21:27

Yes, it was great ending to a season...with alot to look forward to.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Ron 20 Apr 2015, 02:24

Up to S02E05.. so far, I really like it. Sara's story was great (and how great of this show that it can pull off such an emotional storyline), and I'm sure it is not the last we see of her, though her being alive was kinda predictable; basically, if you don't see a confirmed kill, they're probably still alive (can't imagine Merlyn being dead, for instance). Hope to see more of the League of Assassins and Ra's (which we probably will).
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 20 Apr 2015, 11:00

Wow, you seem to be hooked into this...doing a marathon :) heh.
    From season 3 you'll need to watch this parallel to Flash, with all the crossovers...

Yes, not the last you'll see her...won't say more.
    Yes, regarding confirmed kill (like his father's death which look very final) - indeed, people are known to come back to life if not totally dead. But the show doesn't overuse this actually...Sarah was probably the main example of such resurrection. And if they can make a good and emotional story for her - that's worth it. For Sarah (note it's a different actress than in episode 1) it's also to spin some future long-term things into motion...the character is essensial.

Redarding "League of Assasins" (Arrow's name for "League of Shadows" of Batman movies, led by Ra's) - won't say much more...but yes, you will see more of them....eventually. Won't spoil more. Reading back my previous posts you can get some clue already. Actually 2 clues.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Ron 20 Apr 2015, 20:10

An alcohol and pills addiction-storyline is basically the writers saying 'we have no idea what to do with this character, but she has to do something'. Season 2 is definitely an improvement over season 1 so far, but Laurel remains the worst element so far.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 20 Apr 2015, 20:23

Ron wrote:An alcohol and pills addiction-storyline is basically the writers saying 'we have no idea what to do with this character

Not really, but I know what you mean...not the most interesting Lauren episodes indeed and your impression is definitely well-rooted. Was mine impression too at the time.

But as they said - everyone has to pass his "Island" to get somewhere...hard times. This is what show creators believe in... Laurel, Roy...She does have a new path even later on in that very season. So this won't last forever. Every character has evolving arc.

Season 2 is definitely an improvement over season 1 so far, but Laurel remains the worst element so far.
    Well, I loved the plot of season 1 better, but the rest is definitely improved...action, scale etc...Laurel is indeed character that just everyone hates...she is a good dramatic actor (tears and such...soapy too much though), and she is not even too ugly (not my taste though)...but she is sooo annoying... To everyone...but she stays nomatter what...as series regular. And later you'll see why. She won't get any less annoying though.
    Felicity seems to be the only "bright" female character on the show...the rest have much darkness inside. From Hauntress to Laurel to Sarah to Tea ...and to other females you'll meet later.

So far season 3 though is the most epic. And its finale episodes will be even more epic.
    Plotwise I think season 1 was better, because all that is great in season 3 is because of great Batman comics its loosely based upon. Season 1 was more Arrowish, and it's hard to find compelling Arrow plot that is not from Batman.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General topics