• View unanswered postsView active topics

• Arrow TV Show (Possible Spoilers)

All the rest (non-gaming) topics

Postby Dean 26 Sep 2014, 05:40

So, I'm watching Arrow, and I know Maxim loves this show so thought we could discuss it in it's own thread.

** I'm only 8 episodes into Season 1 at this stage so please no major spoilers! **

I'm liking the show but I'm not sure how many people are genuinely grasping just the potential for introducion of other DC characters who are already in this and as well have the potential to be added to the show. Almost every character is based on a DC comics superhero or character in some way. Plus when you add in some of the villans that are based on them as well as some even small bit part characters that have appeared, the potential for expansion or multiple storylines is really quite massive, probably more so that I've seen in any show. If people think Gotham is overdoing it a bit by having all the villians in it as younger people then they really have no idea what Arrow's got going on!

I was pleasantly surprised to see the very sexy Aussie actress Jess Do Gouw make an appearance as Huntress. I hope she's in a lot more, I think there's a lot of scope they can do with the character.

I know there's a cross over with the Flash and a lot of these characters appeared in Smallville in one guise or another also but it just makes me wonder if any of the bigger DC characters will make an appearance, the list of possibilities is just huge. It'll be interesting to see if many of the characters cross over between the series (Flash and Arrow), not just the main leads. I know Deadshot has appeared in a huge number of different characters comics and storylines over the years for starters.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 26 Sep 2014, 11:48

Dean wrote:So, I'm watching Arrow, and I know Maxim loves this show so thought we could discuss it in it's own thread.

Thanks :) This is most cool. Finally to talk about it with someone.
    I'll try to avoid spoilers...as I've seen both seasons.

BTW I love "Flash" as well...leaked pilot episode is still on my comp :) Great pilot. :)
    Too heavy to share of DropBox though...find it yourself on the net if you want to.

Yesterday started to watch "Gotham" and "Agents of Shield" season 2.
    I liked "Gotham". Yes, no batman, no suits, cars, villains are yet villains or are just try to become such...
    But it's Gotham...good acting, many famous villains in one pilot - Catwoman, Riddler, Pingwin, Poison Ivy, Falcone (each already with their trademarks)...it's nice. I like it and will keep watching.

"Agents of Shield" season 2 started nice as well, impressive.
    First episode of new "Big Bang Theory" season started very funny as well.

I'm liking the show but I'm not sure how many people are genuinely grasping just the potential for introducion of other DC characters who are already in this and as well have the potential to be added to the show.

Oh....some do :) Ones who knows comics :) And DC Comics universe in particular. :twisted:

Almost every character is based on a DC comics superhero or character in some way.

Yes, so far you've already seen (beside Arrow/Green Arrow) China White, The Huntress, Constantine Drakon, Moira Queen etc...hints for some big others...
    Obviously you'll meet more in first seasons and will see more as the show progresses....not to mention future Flash crossovers. Sometimes I need to google them up being smaller Arrow villains...but still, they are from the comics. So it's cool.
    Every season - you'll see - has 1 main "Big Bad"/Villain who is big in DC Comics. 1 Secondary one...and many small ones for 1 episode or two.

There are things you need to know (I'd suggest to follow for more details this guy - he explains all in much detail, I see his related videos after every episode for explanations and details I've missed https://www.youtube.com/user/emergencyawesome) - "Arrow" and "Flash" (unlike "Gotham" which payed tons of money to buy all Batman Villains/rights and are not limited by any Villain from Batman universe/comics) didn't buy the "all in one" rights for Villains from Warner Brothers/DC Comics, so they need each new Villain they want to introduce in the show to be approved by Warner Brothers first, name by name....sometimes they do, sometimes they don't (though propose substitution characters - like now different Villain for Arrow Season 3 to replace Ted Cord/"Blue Beetle" (Arrow producers wanted for season 3) they probably plan as villain for Titans future TV series) - as they might plan those for one of the other shows (Flash, movies, Titans, SuperGirl...just as "Agents of Shield" producers can't just bring in any Marvel villain they want, as there is big storytelling and supervision of such things from Marvel across all shows and movies - across all their related properties.
    Sure DC Comics can't say "no" for any core Arrow villains that show can't live without. But can for more "crossover" ones. So there is no total freedom for the producers...but DC Comics do all they can to support the show and allow more and more villains, as close they can to producers requests and vision for that season.

the potential for expansion or multiple storylines is really quite massive, probably more so that I've seen in any show.

Arrow season 1 and 2 already introduced quite massive large-scale storytelling, sometimes I even felt overload of plot lines developing parallelly and intermixing...it's a big universe that is getting bigger...and character very much evolve....

If people think Gotham is overdoing it a bit by having all the villians in it as younger people then they really have no idea what Arrow's got going on!
    Different networks, different concepts...Also, as I explain - "Gotham" show paid tons of millions to buy all Batman rights to be able to do with them what they want without any pre-approval. As long as they are linked to Batman.
    So sure they want to show off...and put in the pilot and in the show as much of Villains as they can...just because they can....otherwise it's a waste of money and they could go cheaper with "Arrow"/"Flash"-type character rights... also to compensate for lack of Batman....Batmobile...fully dressed and developed villains or heroes...
    Each "Arrow" or "Flash" villain producers want to introduce each show and season need pre-approval by Warner Brothers (unlike "Gotham").....it's so different...

I was pleasantly surprised to see the very sexy Aussie actress Jess Do Gouw make an appearance as Huntress. I hope she's in a lot more, I think there's a lot of scope they can do with the character
    Not to spoil....but you'll see more of her :)
    Especially as she is a character they'll need in case they'll go with "Birds of Prey" storyline.

I know there's a cross over with the Flash

Already were some... :)

but it just makes me wonder if any of the bigger DC characters will make an appearance, the list of possibilities is just huge.

Well...some already did....on Arrow...
    But obviously will be much more such in Flash (see the pilot, it's cool :) ), and it's a character of much more superpower and more superpowers based ...area/city - both hero and his villains. "Arrow" try to stay more dark and grounded, "street-level" as they call it...and always be more grounded and closer to "Batman"....to match lack of superpower skill of it's main hero (beside unhuman accuracy)... But now with Flash crossovers - Arrow world will start to get superpower ricochets. Already had simular ...idea in Arrow season 2.
    Flash will need superpowered (and so famous) villains, and if you have seen Flash pilot of even trailers - those are called "metahumans" and there are plenty of it.
    So far they've already cast for thew Flash almost all the most iconic Flash villains (and Flash is known to have one of the best Villains roster, along with Batman and SpiderMan) - including Weather Wizard, Captain Cold, FireStorm, Captain Boomerang, Killer Frost, Reverse Flash, Vibe, Heat Wave, Girder, Duplicate man, Clock King...+ rumors of pied piper.....
    Basically I've already seen cast (unlike Arrow) every major Flash villain....beside maybe Mirror Master and Trickster (will probably hire soon as well, heh)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3107288/fullcredits/

I know Deadshot has appeared in a huge number of different characters comics and storylines over the years for starters.

Yes, you'll see him :) Won't spoil more.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby DoomJedi 27 Sep 2014, 00:45

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaoEbd1Bj7w[/youtube]
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Dean 02 Oct 2014, 11:08

Thanks Max, I'm up to S01E20 now so you don't need to hide as many spoilers!

The Huntress has returned! Damn she looked super hot in that strippers outfit at the start of Episode 16 :)

I can start to see more characters developing. Tommy Merlyn is getting more and more angrier with Oliver and you can just see that he's going to develop into something else inspired by his Father (The Dark Archer). I'd like to see one of the characters you wouldn't expect turn in to their characters, someone like Thea in to Speedy or Laurel into Black Canary.

There's a bit of a mixing of characters and themes going on too. Vertigo is actually a DC character that causes the same reaction that the drug in the show does so they've kinda twisted things a little there. In the comics Merlyn actually trains Oliver in Archery. I know there's a lot of cross overs in the comics with Batman but I really can't see that happening here. It is possible they could bring in Batgirl or even Ra's al Ghul though.

There's so much I'm hoping that comes into the show at some stage;
    - The League of Assassins
    - More of Deathstroke (in character) as a bad guy
    - More crossover characters
    - I think they need to drop the flashbacks to the island in every episode. I'd like the occassional to link events or characters but otherwise it feels like it's getting a bit drawn out to me.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 02 Oct 2014, 11:21

The Huntress has returned! Damn she looked super hot in that strippers outfit at the start of Episode 16 :)
    She will return on season 2 as well :)

I can start to see more characters developing. Tommy Merlyn is getting more and more angrier with Oliver and you can just see that he's going to develop into something else inspired by his Father (The Dark Archer). I'd like to see one of the characters you wouldn't expect turn in to their characters, someone like Thea in to Speedy or Laurel into Black Canary.
    Not all your guesses are right...but indeed, alot of character development. But expect surprises too. Almost ( ;) ) every character will develop in one way or another...but not always as fast as you'd like to, and not to the character you might expect...also one character might have more than one...incarnation :) Show likes to be not totally predictable.
    I'm such a tease :)

Vertigo is actually a DC character that causes the same reaction that the drug in the show does so they've kinda twisted things a little there.
    Well...there is more than one Vertigo...

I know there's a lot of cross overs in the comics with Batman but I really can't see that happening here.

Didn't you notice FireFly? Deadshot?
    There will be more...not as much as one would dream for...no. It's still Arrow show, not Batman's.

It is possible they could bring in Batgirl or even Ra's al Ghul though.
    You'll get at least one of those 2 ;)

There's so much I'm hoping that comes into the show at some stage;
    - The League of Assassins
    - More of Deathstroke (in character) as a bad guy
    - More crossover characters

You'll get all you expect, heh :) :twisted:

- I think they need to drop the flashbacks to the island in every episode. I'd like the occassional to link events or characters but otherwise it feels like it's getting a bit drawn out to me.
    I actually like that parallel storytelling...especially as it always related to current events. I'm glad they keep it and will keep it. You'll just have to suffer, I guess :)
    There are a few episodes with no flashbacks though...but not that much.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Dean 07 Oct 2014, 03:06

Up to Season 02E05. Here's my thoughts so far;

- Didn't see Tommy dying, never thought they'd kill off a major character.
    - Sara has just come back into, seems a bit implausible, even for this show, although I do like her character.
    - Felicity gets hotter in each season!
    - The Island is getting bigger and more populous with each episode. Starting to look a little ridiculous that he couldn't get off or away for 5 years!
    - Thea's become a secondary characater to her boyfriend who I'm a little confused as to what direction they are going with him atm.
    - I fully expect Malcolm Merlyn to come back into it, either as himself or the Dark Archer.
    - No interest in the Laurel drinking, pills spin out rubbishy storyline.
    - Ra's Al Ghul name was mentioned right at the end of Episode 4, although I'm betting it's not Liam Neeson! Will be interested to see if they do a bit of background on the character.
    - Interested to see where they go with Brother Blood, not a character I'm overly familiar with.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 07 Oct 2014, 08:35

Dean wrote:- Didn't see Tommy dying, never thought they'd kill off a major character.

Yeah, that's what I meant by ALMOST every character will develop :) The ones who survive, heh :)
    Well, they needed dramatic finale for season one...and drama can't go without death....you'll have one death at least each season so far :wink: If not more.
    Also - his death clearly drives motivations and plot of most characters at least for half of season 2, and each new season needs major plot "drive".

- Sara has just come back into, seems a bit implausible, even for this show, although I do like her character.
    Yes...also played by a different actress than from the pilot. She is one of (but not the only) the best characters that season, you'll see (not to mention she is hot and can kick ass). I think her surviving is not weirder than him surviving and flashbacks will explain more.

- Felicity gets hotter in each season!
    Oh, yes she does...with her cute charm :) Not too much in the breasts area though.

- The Island is getting bigger and more populous with each episode. Starting to look a little ridiculous that he couldn't get off or away for 5 years!

Who said he didn't? Who said he was on the Island all those years? :wink:

- Thea's become a secondary characater to her boyfriend who I'm a little confused as to what direction they are going with him atm.
    You won't be confused by the end of that season :wink:
    Though it pretty much obvious.
    The show has nice plans for both in terms of character development.

- I fully expect Malcolm Merlyn to come back into it, either as himself or the Dark Archer.
    Won't respond on that one :roll:

- No interest in the Laurel drinking, pills spin out rubbishy storyline.
    Yeah, that one was boring. Yet it won't go for the whole season...she'll develop by the end of the season.

- Ra's Al Ghul name was mentioned right at the end of Episode 4, although I'm betting it's not Liam Neeson! Will be interested to see if they do a bit of background on the character.

Yes, it won't be Liam. And also...I promiced you the character, I never said it'll be on season 2 :)

- Interested to see where they go with Brother Blood, not a character I'm overly familiar with.

Yep, he is from the comics alright...but indeed smaller and less known character. But you'll see his name is well linked into the plot. Also watch for other known...characters from the comics...
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby DoomJedi 07 Oct 2014, 11:17

I want this comicon costume :(

DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Dean 09 Oct 2014, 07:20

That's a very well done constume, looks a lot like the real thing!

Watched the 'League of assassins' episode, not that we really found out much about them or who else is in it. I suspect Merlyn was/is (if my DC memory is accurate) so will be intersted to see who else shows up.

I'm liking Sara more but I don't think they could have chosen an actress that looks less like Det. Lance and Laurel! Absolutely no resemblance in any way!

I've downloaded Episode 1 of the Flash as well as Episode 1 of Season 3 but will wait until I finish Season 2 before I start watching them together as I believe there are a few cross overs and I don't want to spoil anything.

Felicity has enough :D More than Thea anyway! :)
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 09 Oct 2014, 17:13

Dean wrote:I've downloaded Episode 1 of the Flash as well

Watched together for a 10th (?) time - this time with my girlfriend. Russian dubbing was awful though...it's good I watched it first/before in original english. Great episode.
    We watched "Arrow" first episode as well :) For 10th time for me :)

as Episode 1 of Season 3

Didn't watch this one yet....Now I'm heading to watch "Gotham" episode 3.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Dean 11 Oct 2014, 03:20

The Flash just came into Arrow, well, his alter-ego did anyway. He looks really nerdy and a bit hard to believe as a super hero really. I recognised the name straight off, will be interesting to see how many episodes he's in and how it develops and crosses over from here.

Laurel's annoying me, don't like her much this season.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 11 Oct 2014, 17:35

Well, she'll get better soon.

Barry Allen I loved him right away...he is all Flash actor ever needed and I couldn't believe they have found one actor to merge/mold all of it into him....he has charm, good heart, and alot of inner power and ability to stand up for what he believes at against whoever...like Captain America of DC Universe...
    I love his voice, acting, character, looks...perfect Flash for me...this crossover pilot is what moved CW to order Flash series right away...originally they wanted to show Flash more in season 2...but when they saw what we saw....they knew he needs right away his own series.

the name straight off,
    Not only name...but also many speed/lightning/chemical materials/movement puns (not to mention the collider (in Central City) news...), even his first newspaper scene is famous Flash comics reference.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Dean 28 Oct 2014, 13:02

Finished Season 2 now, the last 8 episodes were fantastic, the show really built up brilliantly, so much happened.

Was happy when Moira died, she was rather annoying but I feel they did her death really well in the show. Thankfully Laurel got something else to do rather than that bullshit alcohol/drugs thing, I really didn't like her much this season.

- I was hoping the Flash would show up again, with a bit of a hint as to who he was becoming.
    - Not enough of the Huntress!
    - China White just disappeared.
    - I like the ongoing thing with Deadshot and A.R.G.U.S.
    - Loved the prison Slade ends up in!
    - Pretty much everyone knows who the Arrow is now!
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

The following user would like to thank Dean for this post
    DoomJedi

Postby DoomJedi 28 Oct 2014, 14:05

Dean wrote:Finished Season 2 now, the last 8 episodes were fantastic, the show really built up brilliantly, so much happened.
    House scene with Slade was epic 8)

Was happy when Moira died, she was rather annoying but I feel they did her death really well in the show.
    I agree. But I don't think in season 2 she was as annoying as in season 1...that's great actress and acting.

- I was hoping the Flash would show up again, with a bit of a hint as to who he was becoming.

Now watch season 3 in parallel to Flash season 1...you've got to.

- Not enough of the Huntress!
    Yes, superb acting an character writing.

- Loved the prison Slade ends up in!
    Now you see why island flashback can have any villain escaped from that prison? :roll:
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Dean 24 Dec 2014, 01:07

Started watching the 3rd season. I love what they've done with Thea, finally her character is interesting and not just a whining little pain in the ass!

I was disappointed with them killing of Sara, she was one of the better characters in the show, I'd have rather seen Laurel go then Sara, but anyway...

I've watched the first couple of episodes of The Flash also, and while there's a few little nods there's little need to watch the 2 shows concurrently, until the double cross over of course!
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Next

Return to General topics