• View unanswered postsView active topics

• The Music Thread

All the rest (non-gaming) topics

Postby Lozer_42 30 Apr 2012, 20:44

Started working on an all electric-acoustic guitar cover of everyone's favorite jazz-fusion song, Birdland.
    Lozer_42
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 03 May 2012, 16:49

Brendan Benson - One Mississippi
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 07 May 2012, 00:47

Some albums I listened to this past week.

Fleetwood Mac - Mirage: no Rumours or Tusk, but good nevertheless.
    Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson: Anyone who likes pop or soft rock will like this album
    Jack White - Blunderbuss: Great first solo effort, liked it a lot and gets better every time I listen to it.
    The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper: I always say that Revolver is my favorite Beatles album, but after listening to this again I'm starting to doubt that. This is so magnificent and mindblowingly genius.
    John Frusciante - The Empyrean: Probably his best solo effort, this album is just a joy to listen to.
    The Durutti Column - Return of the Durutti Column: Vini Reilly is one of the best guitarist players ever, if you love sonic soundscapes or just mindblowing guitar play you'll love this.
    Sparks - Kimono My House: Weird, eccentric pop/rock/glam rock but quite enjoyable.
    Daft Punk - Discovery: Daft Punk never bores me, I love it!
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Lozer_42 07 May 2012, 06:34

I mixed down my Audio Production 2 Final Project from 5.1 surround to stereo and uploaded to YouTube
    Lozer_42
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Lozer_42 26 May 2012, 08:01

I was just introduced to Ronald Jenkeens music last night. (WHY HAVEN'T HEARD OF HIM BEFORE NOW!!!) it is just simply amazing. I've been watching all of his youtube videos, this is a man who FEELS the music he plays all the way through.

Sharing my favorite track by him.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWutAX3CQcE[/youtube]

Original youtube version here.
    Lozer_42
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 28 May 2012, 21:14

A new song by John Frusciante! :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFzKC8CJ_7A[/youtube]

And to celebrate that:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73f5-JAyips[/youtube]
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 29 May 2012, 05:13

I recently read Ace Frehley's (from KISS) autiobiography so have been listening through a few of their records.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 18 Jun 2012, 04:57

Beach House - Devotion
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 24 Jun 2012, 03:49

Fiona Apple's new album might be my favorite album of the year so far. :)
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 24 Jun 2012, 11:01

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q8lMvJ20S4[/youtube]
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 30 Jul 2012, 01:02

I've been rediscovering Rap a bit this week: Kanye West, Outkast, N.W.A., Wu Tang Clan.

Apart from that, I've listened to:

Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel Is...: Probably my favorite record of this year, just amazing!
    My Bloody Valentine - Loveless: A classic, and not without reason.
    U2 - Achtung Baby: Any U2-hater should listen to this, The Joshua Tree and The Unforgettable Fire, then try telling me again this band is crap. While I agree that U2 isn't what it used to be, these records show what an amazingly great band this was.
    Japandroids - Celebration Rock: Celebration Rock indeed.
    Jack White - Blunderbuss: One of my favorites of 2012.
    Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures: If you're wondering why this band is so legendary, just listen to this.
    Alex Turner - Submarine OST: First solo effort by the Arctic Monkeys' lead singer, and quite a succesful effort. :)
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Andy 30 Jul 2012, 02:55

Heh, I used to be a U2 fan, loved their earlier stuff, and The Joshua Tree was my favorite (and I think their best) album. But after that, didn't really care for them anymore.

Other favorite artists of mine that I felt "jumped the shark" at some point:

Neil Young with "Re-act-or", though I started enjoying stuff again with "This Notes For You" through "Harvest Moon" after which I never cared for anything afterwards. Oddly, in recent years I started collecting the CDs of the post-Re-Act-or 1980's albums and kind of enjoy them. I was able to get the hard to find "Trans" on vinyl in a used record section of a Barnes and Noble bookstore, totally by chance. In perfect condition, too!

Paul McCartney after "Tug of War", though I did like his 1989 "Flowers in the DIrt" after borrowing it from the library.

Miles Davis after 1966 "Miles Smiles". I always admired that Miles never stood pat and "settled" into one style; he always moved on and pushed the envelope. However, for me, the rock-jazz fusion stuff never really worked. To me his best was mid 1950s to mid 1960s.

I was a big Beatles fan as a kid, and still like them to this day, though their music is way overplayed. In recent years (and lately) I have been enjoying remixes of their music by The Beatles Remixers Group, particularly a series entitled "Tuned to a Natural E". This series contains only Beatles material (with some cover tune material by others in the so-called "blends"). These CD compilations, of which there are now 7, contain remixes, mash-ups, edits that make up new "songs", montages, etc.

When the "Love" CD came out, I recognized it immediately as a response to what the BRG and others like them had been doing, though with the benefit of access to the original multi-track tapes.
    Andy
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 30 Jul 2012, 19:11

Andy wrote:Heh, I used to be a U2 fan, loved their earlier stuff, and The Joshua Tree was my favorite (and I think their best) album. But after that, didn't really care for them anymore.

Achtung Baby is probably their last truely great album, the ones after range from mediocre to good.

Neil Young with "Re-act-or", though I started enjoying stuff again with "This Notes For You" through "Harvest Moon" after which I never cared for anything afterwards. Oddly, in recent years I started collecting the CDs of the post-Re-Act-or 1980's albums and kind of enjoy them. I was able to get the hard to find "Trans" on vinyl in a used record section of a Barnes and Noble bookstore, totally by chance. In perfect condition, too!

Have you listened to his earlier work, like 'Everybody Knows This is Nowhere' (my favorite Young record)? Some amazing work in there as well.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Andy 30 Jul 2012, 22:14

ronwolf1705 wrote:

Have you listened to his earlier work, like 'Everybody Knows This is Nowhere' (my favorite Young record)? Some amazing work in there as well.

Yes that's his best overall record, for sure - fresh, coherent, and rocking with Crazy Horse. His next two LPs, "After the Gold Rush" and "Harvest" were bigger hits, but "Everybody Knows This is Nowhere" established him as a great artist. I have everything of his up to and including "Trans" in vinyl - even the (now) hard to find live album "Time Fades Away". Best album side: side 2 of "Rust Never Sleeps" - Powderfinger through Hey Hey My My. Awesome!
    Andy
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Tricob1974 30 Jul 2012, 23:59

I bought a CD of Sara Niemietz this weekend. Below are a couple of links to her music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDuk-3eP7kI&feature=fvst
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Jyk4sCJLU
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

PreviousNext

Return to General topics