• View unanswered postsView active topics

• The Music Thread

All the rest (non-gaming) topics

Postby Ron 24 Feb 2012, 21:38

We have a movies thread, we have a book thread, but nowhere to discuss music? :shock: Hence, this thread. Here can be discussed what you've been listening to, you could share a song or perhaps show something you're working on. As long as it's related to music obviously. xixixi
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Lozer_42 25 Feb 2012, 00:30

Lately I've started listening to the techno music I listened to back in High School (before it was cool, yeah yeah, I know I'm an elitist hipster).

definitely one of my favorites from that time was Miles of Love
    Lozer_42
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Tricob1974 25 Feb 2012, 01:12

People who've read my posts outside of DHWs will probably know how much I dig Glass Tiger. They recorded three albums before disbanding. The last one - Simple Mission - never made it to America. That didn't stop their albums from selling well overseas, though; each release would literally sell a million copies more than its predecessor.
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 25 Feb 2012, 01:33

Band of Gypsies by Jimi Hendrix has become an album I listen to a lot lately. It's less experimental compared to his previous albums but has a funk-rock vibe that I really like. It's a live album which fits Hendrix perfectly as he's at his best once he melts together with his guitar on stage.

Another album that I love at the moment is Low by David Bowie. I had never really listened to Bowie apart from some of his hits, probably because his music was often described as Avant-Gardistic, which kind of scares me off (because in my mind Avant-Garde equals really weird and twisted). But it's really great, from the moment Speed of Life started I knew this would be an album I really like.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 29 Feb 2012, 06:07

Tricob1974 wrote:People who've read my posts outside of DHWs will probably know how much I dig Glass Tiger. They recorded three albums before disbanding. The last one - Simple Mission - never made it to America. That didn't stop their albums from selling well overseas, though; each release would literally sell a million copies more than its predecessor.

My Wife was an exchange student to Canada in the late 80's for a year when in High School and heard about them. When we met she kept telling me about this band called Glass Tiger that I'd never heard of, their music had never made it Australia.
    She played me some of her LP's and I quite liked them, I thought for a long time there she was the only on the planet who still remembered them!
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Tricob1974 29 Feb 2012, 06:34

Dean wrote:My Wife was an exchange student to Canada in the late 80's for a year when in High School and heard about them. When we met she kept telling me about this band called Glass Tiger that I'd never heard of, their music had never made it Australia.
    She played me some of her LP's and I quite liked them, I thought for a long time there she was the only on the planet who still remembered them!

IIRC, their first album got release in North America, Canada, and the UK.

In the U.S., the first album (Thin Red Line) went gold; the second album - however - didn't come close. :(
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Lozer_42 01 Mar 2012, 00:12

I first heard this song back in May of last year and lately it's been on my mind a lot lately. The Kills - DNA

I first heard it from the Indie Rock Playlist April 2011 Edition.
    Lozer_42
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 02 Mar 2012, 04:17

Albums listened to today:

-Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
    -Beck - Sea Change
    -Matt Berry - Opium
    -Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Tricob1974 02 Mar 2012, 17:53

Well, I listened to some CDs I've bought over the past few months, and some irritated me, like the greatest hits collection of Whitesnake. It included the album recording of "Here I Go Again", not the radio version, which I thought was vastly superior. So I tracked down the radio version online last night, on an MP3.
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 04 Mar 2012, 02:30

Tricob, from what I've seen in this thread you quite enjoy 80's rock! I think you'll really enjoy Barney Stinson's 'Get Psyched' list:

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/86YQ4dv1HNQ[/youtu_be]

I certainly do! :D

Apart from that, listening a lot to Fleetwood Mac lately, mainly their 1975 album 'Fleetwood Mac', 'Rumours' and 'Tusk'. :good:
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Tricob1974 05 Mar 2012, 06:27

ronwolf1705 wrote:Apart from that, listening a lot to Fleetwood Mac lately, mainly their 1975 album 'Fleetwood Mac', 'Rumours' and 'Tusk'. :good:
    My personal favorite of theirs was the 1987 release "Tango In The Night", but the album just couldn't get as big a hit as their 1982 smash "Hold Me" from the "Mirage" release.

I located a long-lost Midi file I'd lost after a harddisk failure. Like the Central 6 theme, it was hard for me to find because I couldn't remember the exact filename of the Midi file.
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Lozer_42 05 Mar 2012, 19:52

Started listening to the band Bread.
    Lozer_42
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 06 Mar 2012, 01:43

Tricob1974 wrote:My personal favorite of theirs was the 1987 release "Tango In The Night".

That's a good album indeed! My personal favorite is 1977's Rumours, love that album!
    Right now I'm listening to Ryan Adams' album Ashes & Fire, one of my favorite cd's of last year.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 10 Mar 2012, 03:58

Neil Young - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, such a great great album!
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 10 Mar 2012, 05:32

Great cover of the song I Follow Rivers (originally from Lykke Li) by the great Belgian band Triggerfinger:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzWQV5OiQQQ[/youtube]
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Next

Return to General topics