• View unanswered postsView active topics

• Books Discussion (Possible Spoilers)

All the rest (non-gaming) topics

Postby Dean 22 Feb 2012, 06:47

The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
    Yeah, ok this was a weird one! follows the story of a, somewhat, weird 19 year old boy who lives on an island in England somewhere and all the depraved things he gets up to as a daily form of entertainment. The sory also follows his brother who has escaped from a Psych ward and is crossing the country on his way back to the island. You always get the feeling that writer is building up to a big twist at the end, which he of course delivers but there' nothing really exciting about parts of the book. An interesting read (the first non sci fi book of his I've read) but not one I can recommend to most people or would read again any time soon.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 29 Feb 2012, 06:12

Bossypants - Tina Fey
    I really like 30 Rock so was interested to see if this was funny also. It turns out the book is quite entertaining but it more an observational perspective on her life and the industry as she's experienced it more than a real autiobiography. A fair bit of the book is just how she sees the world and defends some of the opinions of critics and others towards SNL and her career.
    It discusses things a fair bit about 30 Rock, SNL and her personal life but has plenty of funny moments also.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 29 Feb 2012, 06:17

The Postcard Killers - James Patterson
    This was actually one of Patterson's better books of late but as usual when he writes with another author you really wonder just how much of the book is his, I know I've read a couple of his collaborations that read nothing like his style. This does seem to have the similar writing style of a lot of his books but for a (nice) change takes place outside of the US. Of course there's the usual happy ending and the bad guys are caught but the unfolding tale was quite well written and kept the pages turning quickly. If you only read a few of his books then I can honestly say this is one of his better ones and a book you will probably enjoy, whether he actually wrote much of it not!
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 29 Feb 2012, 06:22

Red Dog - Louis De Bernieres
    There was a very good recently made Australian film of this book that did huge business here so I thought I'd read the book, The book was actually writtin by a French author 10 years and discovered about the adventures of red Dog while in Australia doing a book tour. He came back and gathered as much information of the tales and heroics of the dog and compiled them into the book. The book is in horonological order but there is some creativity added to the stories. They follow in more of a collection of stories than one long story but they work together well and the book is a really great read although non-Australians will most likely have trouble undrstanding a lot og the Aussie slang and lifestyle of those that live in remote areas of our country. Going to go watch the movie now!
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 01 Mar 2012, 05:52

Binary - Michael Crichton
    Although written in the 70's this is still quite relevant today with it's use of technology. I'm amzed this was never made into a huge action thriller type movie as it so easily lend it self to that, you could pretty much visualise the film and the actors as you were reading it. I've read a few of Crichtons later novels and they are really well written but this was just as good. He actually wrote this under a psuedonym but it came out later again under his real name.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Lozer_42 01 Mar 2012, 07:34

DUNE. That is all.

Haha, no. I'm certain at least one of you, if not two, have already read this book and are familiar with it. But just in general, I've always loved stories about waring noble families. (I loved the Count of Monte Cristo too and as another example, the fairly recent television series, Code Geass: Lelouche of the Rebellion.)
    Lozer_42
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 03 Jun 2012, 04:09

Lemony Snickett - A Series of Unfortunate Events
    I recently read all 13 books in the series. It's all quite preposterous but once you get into them you just have to read through them all. Some where better then others but with all books being under 200 pages they are quick easy reads. The movie starring Jim Carrey is based on the first 3 books.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 03 Jun 2012, 04:16

Ace Frehley - No regrets
    I grew up listening to KISS (and still do today) and these guys were gods! This is a pretensious read of how they became famous and rich beyond their dreams which basically ment that no matter how badly behaved they were or how they broke the law they got away with it. This book should be called ' no apologies' - because he doesn't for all the bad shit he got away with! Would be interesting to read books by some of the other guys in the band.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 03 Jun 2012, 04:26

The Girl Who Played With Fire - Steig Larsson
    2nd book in the series. This was quite good and really well written although the end becomes a little bit unbelievable. I suspect they'll be making a US version of this as well, Lets just hope it's a bit better than their effort with the first book. 1 more book still to go in the series.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 03 Jun 2012, 04:37

Don't Blink - James Patterson
    This book was probably his most formulaic of all with really nothing new. It's just seemed like an amalgam of all his other ideas and twists combined to create one book. I like his books and writing style but I wish he'd only realease something new and interesting rather then just cashing in on the same stuff all the time.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 03 Jun 2012, 04:47

The Bedwetter - Stories of Courage, Redemption and Pee - Sarah Silverman
    We heven't heard much in Australia about Sarah Silverman except for her TV show so this was an interesting book. She is VERY open about her sex life and daily masturbation plus how she became famous and the steps it took to get there. She plays up the how hard is it being 'Jewish - A Woman - A comedian' angle a bit much but obviously she felt these aspects held her back at certain stages.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 08 Jun 2012, 09:53

Now You See Her - James Patterson
    This was actually one of his better stand alone novels. The story has depth and not as much 'fluff' and repition as some of his other novels of late. There is some real substance here and you don't always feel that the heroine is just going to have incredible feats of luck fall in her lap to help solve everything. If you don't need to rad all of his novels, at least read this one.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 08 Jun 2012, 09:59

Why We Suck: A Feel Good Guide to Staying Fat, Loud, Lazy and Stupid - Dennis Leary
    Wow, this was refreshing and nice to see that not all Americas still think that they are the best and the greatest nation on Earth! I read a fact where most Americans believe the US is the greatest country on Earth, however 80% of the country's population had never the country! It's this kind of absurdity, and as to how the US became the most obese nation on earth that Leary addresses here, and with complete blunt reality also! He was very spot on with some of his summations but at least he tells the truth and not the over hyped fake reality that most US citizens seem to live their lives based on. There's a lot more substance that that and is well worth reading - especially if you aren't from the country and think most of them are full of sh*t!
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 08 Jun 2012, 10:03

The Pleasure of My Company - Steve Martin (yes, THAT Steve Martin)
    This is the 2nd novel of Martin's I've read, and like ShopGirl I really enjoyed his style and word usage. Martin is an obviously intelligent, educated Man and his writing shows this while containing not only humour and accurate observation on society but in depth layed story telling. I really enjoyed this and have now downloaded another of his writing eforts. i don't think people realise that he's actually written quite a few of his movies as well!
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 24 Jun 2012, 15:41

Gijp by Michel van Egmond - A biography about the Dutch football player Rene van der Gijp, a seemingly cheery figure on tv who suffers from depression and almost lives like a hermit. A very interesting book that shows that there is a lot more going on people's lives than you are at times aware of.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

PreviousNext

Return to General topics