• View unanswered postsView active topics

• Books Discussion (Possible Spoilers)

All the rest (non-gaming) topics

Postby Dean 03 Jun 2012, 04:47

The Bedwetter - Stories of Courage, Redemption and Pee - Sarah Silverman
    We heven't heard much in Australia about Sarah Silverman except for her TV show so this was an interesting book. She is VERY open about her sex life and daily masturbation plus how she became famous and the steps it took to get there. She plays up the how hard is it being 'Jewish - A Woman - A comedian' angle a bit much but obviously she felt these aspects held her back at certain stages.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 08 Jun 2012, 09:53

Now You See Her - James Patterson
    This was actually one of his better stand alone novels. The story has depth and not as much 'fluff' and repition as some of his other novels of late. There is some real substance here and you don't always feel that the heroine is just going to have incredible feats of luck fall in her lap to help solve everything. If you don't need to rad all of his novels, at least read this one.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 08 Jun 2012, 09:59

Why We Suck: A Feel Good Guide to Staying Fat, Loud, Lazy and Stupid - Dennis Leary
    Wow, this was refreshing and nice to see that not all Americas still think that they are the best and the greatest nation on Earth! I read a fact where most Americans believe the US is the greatest country on Earth, however 80% of the country's population had never the country! It's this kind of absurdity, and as to how the US became the most obese nation on earth that Leary addresses here, and with complete blunt reality also! He was very spot on with some of his summations but at least he tells the truth and not the over hyped fake reality that most US citizens seem to live their lives based on. There's a lot more substance that that and is well worth reading - especially if you aren't from the country and think most of them are full of sh*t!
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 08 Jun 2012, 10:03

The Pleasure of My Company - Steve Martin (yes, THAT Steve Martin)
    This is the 2nd novel of Martin's I've read, and like ShopGirl I really enjoyed his style and word usage. Martin is an obviously intelligent, educated Man and his writing shows this while containing not only humour and accurate observation on society but in depth layed story telling. I really enjoyed this and have now downloaded another of his writing eforts. i don't think people realise that he's actually written quite a few of his movies as well!
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 24 Jun 2012, 15:41

Gijp by Michel van Egmond - A biography about the Dutch football player Rene van der Gijp, a seemingly cheery figure on tv who suffers from depression and almost lives like a hermit. A very interesting book that shows that there is a lot more going on people's lives than you are at times aware of.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 27 Jun 2012, 03:03

A Lion's Tale: Around the World in Spandex - Chris Jericho
    This was a really interesting read and follows Chris from his home town in Canada through his journey to make it to the WWE. This was really interesting and Chris telss what a lot of people in the industry are like and what it's like to wrestle in other country's like Mexico, Germany and Japan also. This ends as he makes it to the WWE in 2000 but tells very in depth all about his time in WCW and what was really going behind the scenes in the time of it's high success. If you are a wrestling fan an know who Chris is then I highly recommend reading this.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 27 Jun 2012, 03:06

The Burning Wire - Jeffrey Deaver
    This is the same series as the Movie 'The Bone Collector' (Book 1) and follows a quadraplegic forensic investigator aand his team that help solves crime in NY. The books are really well written and move along a great pace, I think this is like book 8 or something.. You get the feeling this might be the end of the series but either way these are a great read for anyone that loves crime thrillers.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 27 Jun 2012, 03:11

I thought it would take me most of the year to reach my 52 book target (On average 1 per week) for the year but I just counted and am already reading book 50! :shock:
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 09 Aug 2012, 06:30

The Hardcore Diaries - Mick Foley
    I've read most of Mick's books but had missed this one. Unfortunately this one isn't about his path into wrestling but covers a short period in 2006 where he was working in the WWE trying to set up an angle and his struggles with Vince McMahon and the creative team to get his way. While it tells some interesting bits on the behind the scenes politis it's really dated very badly and unless you watched the WWE during this period you wont get much out of the book.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 09 Aug 2012, 06:41

Dear Coca-Cola - Terry Ravenscroft
    This is quite an amusing book by a retired English gentleman who writes these very funny letters to major food companies complaining about crazy things as well as how some of the companys products dont deliver whats promised on their packaging etc. You get to read the companies responses also.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 09 Aug 2012, 06:45

I, Michael Bennett - James Patterson
    This is Book 5 in the series and was really good. I enjoy this series almost as much as the Alex Cross series although it does have some moment of rather sappy sentimentality in it. The scenarios are always interesting and these are good easy read. I actually read this entire thing over one very quiet night shift at work!
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 09 Aug 2012, 06:50

I am Number four - Pittacus Lore
    Being a lover of sci-fi this was quite good. I knew there was a series of these books and that the (actual) 3rd book was coming so I decided to give this a go. The book flows nicely and theres a lot of depth in the backstory and characters. I've just downloaded the movie they made last year of it and will watch that soon also. There's also a number of novellas that tell back stories of some of the characters which i have also.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Dean 17 Aug 2012, 04:10

The Power of Six - pittacus Lore
    ImageImageImageImage
    This is book 2 of the Lorien series I've been reading plus 3 novellas that fight in between the main 3 bnovels. These are a nice easy read and have a lot going on in them, they have a lot of back story and really submerse you into another world. I'm reading the third book at the movie.

I watched the Movie of the first book and it was fairly average to be honest. While they used a lot of it as a base for the movie they changed some of the good stuff that was covered in the books and gave the characters more depth.
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 08 Dec 2012, 03:05

Just finished Caitlin Moran's How To Be A Woman, which is a very funny book. Moran is a good writer who can get her point across, but combines that with a lot of humour. I absolutely loved it!

And now I'm starting in George Orwell's 1984. After that Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

The following user would like to thank Ron for this post
    Lozer_42

Postby Dean 08 Dec 2012, 10:40

I did both 1984 and TKAM in high School. I actually did TKAM 2 years running and never want to read it again after spending that much time writing reposrt and and examining it!

I've been cathing up on some James Patterson books, which all seem to have become samish and dropped off in quality, as well as reading H.G.Wells 'The Time Machine'. Brilliantly written but shows that theres been a lot of license taken with the movies!
    Dean
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

PreviousNext

Return to General topics