• View unanswered postsView active topics

• Movie/Tv-Series Discussion (possible SPOILERS)

All the rest (non-gaming) topics

Postby DoomJedi 05 Jan 2012, 10:09

I have seen "I love you Philip Morris" (just because I love(d?) Jim Carrey)

What a stupid movie....why people make such?
    The movie did everything to be nothing. It's a mix of comedy, drama... while not being good as comedy or drama...it's not funny at all...it appeals to noone....even as a gay person I'd see it as a stupid movie. I guess there are not to many gay movies around that gays compomise for such shit.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Ron 05 Jan 2012, 16:33

I've heard conflicting stories about that movie, some really love it while others hate it. I guess it's one of those polarizing movies that don't appeal to everyone. I'm a fan of Jim Carrey as well, but he should really make other movies instead of Mr. Popper's Penguins. I don't think he has ever been bad in a movie and often he makes a movie better by just being Jim Carrey. He hope he will make that Howard Hughes movie with Christopher Nolan, now that would be interesting!
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 05 Jan 2012, 16:51

Jim Carrey is sooooo out of his prime...(I have to say it with all my love for him) ...what a weird movie choices lately...
    I don't see him doing any good movie in the future. He is burned out.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Ron 05 Jan 2012, 19:27

I don't think he's burned out as much as he just seems to choose crappy movies for the paycheck. I don't ever write off an actor because Carrey has shown many times that he's very talented, but he definitely has to make other movies instead of crap like Mr. Popper's Penguins and The Number 23. Have to say that I did enjoy 'Yes, Man' though. And in a comedy he's never bad. He just needs another movie like The Truman Show, Man on the Moon or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 05 Jan 2012, 19:47

Well, let's hope so. I'm a fan of him....for most of my life. I still visit jimcarreyonline.com regulary.

I'm pessimistic though. Older Carrey is much less funny and crazy... He has given up of any kind of stardom or blockbuster-type movies (unless it's some kid movie for Christmas) and just seem to make movies based on ....donnow... sure not things he is strong in, just wacky experiments.
    He lost that "that crazy dude" charm and became some weird old daddy.

In general, actors of his age stop doing movies for the fun of it and lose direction.

"Yesman" was a nice movie. nice+.
    Still, he looked waaaay too old for the role, the romance with a young woman looked unrealistic.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Ron 05 Jan 2012, 21:25

I guess it's only natural to become less crazy when you get older, I wouldn't say less funny because I do think he's still quite funny but doesn't have a movie to show it in. And sometimes it's the best thing to be less crazy. Take the band KISS for example - first their make-up was kinda cool I guess, but now they're 60-year old dudes in make-up imitating themselves. That's kinda pathetic.

I think Carrey needs to do some more serious roles.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 05 Jan 2012, 22:09

Now less crazy Jim could be a much better Riddler for Nolan.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Ron 05 Jan 2012, 22:37

He could be a much better Howard Hughes for Nolan. It's too bad that The Aviator came out around that period, otherwise we would have had that movie already. On the other hand, Nolan wouldn't have directed Batman Begins so I like it better this way. But Nolan + Carrey sounds like a killer combo.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 05 Jan 2012, 23:06

Well....I do trust Nolan.

But there is no evidence (from today looking at google for info about this next project of his) Carrey will play the role now. Most people think Nolan will go with his usual "Inception" cast.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Ron 05 Jan 2012, 23:52

The Howard Hughes movie supposedly dealed with his later years, and since Hughes was 52 when he went pretty much nuts (he already showed signs of mental illness before) it would make Carrey a more obvious choice than before. Hughes even bought a hotel once in order to don't have any contact with the owners, so I guess "that crazy dude" charm you talk about could come in handy. :D But if Gary Oldman would play Hughes I would be fine with that as well.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 06 Jan 2012, 11:40

ronwolf1705 wrote:Hughes even bought a hotel once in order to don't have any contact with the owners

Could play good Bruce Wayne then :D :D

, so I guess "that crazy dude" charm you talk about could come in handy

Probably the reason for Nolan's original choice.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Ron 06 Jan 2012, 15:56

Bruce Wayne definitely has some Hughes-elements to himself, I guess that will be more obvious in TDKR with Wayne who hasn't evolved at all in those 8 years, maybe even become a recluse.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 07 Jan 2012, 17:32

Watched Carnage yesterday, by Roman Polanski starring Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster, Christoph Waltz and John C. Reilly. My kind of movie, I really loved it. Everyone was very good, but Waltz stood out for me.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Lozer_42 11 Jan 2012, 07:21

Have any of you seen the television series Firefly? It was one of those rare Sci-Fi gems that was before it's time and got canceled by FOX because they loose touch with what's good and has substance really easily.
    Lozer_42
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 11 Jan 2012, 17:36

I haven't seen, but I have heard of it. It's a bit of a cult series, isn't it? Really well made but not enough viewers that appreciate it. I did see the movie based on that serie called 'Serenity', it's really good and if you like the series I can recommend that movie to you.

I watched Dazed & Confused yesterday, really good movie. :)
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

PreviousNext

Return to General topics