• View unanswered postsView active topics

• C++ coding

All the rest (non-gaming) topics

Postby WolferCooker 05 Oct 2011, 07:17

I am currently taking a very basic intro to C++ class so I can understand how it works, and even learn how to make Wolf3d mods in the future.

I'm very surprised at myself that I am doing well in that class. I don't know my grade now since quite a few things were due this week (I missed 2 of them) and a test coming up in a matter of hours, but before all that, my grade was a 91%.

I must catching on to this real quick, because I've gotten mostly As on the program exercises from the book for homework so far (very simple programs) with a B+ on my most recent program assignment. I always expect myself to fight with making these programs for hours, but so far it never took more than 45 minutes to make, compile, and run. Probably because the program assignments in the book are easier to make than in class.

I'm sure I can recognize Wolf3d coding a little better now if I ever want to take a look at it, but I know I need more experience with the coding before I can push myself to take a crack at making a Wolf3d mod.
    WolferCooker

Postby Tricob1974 06 Oct 2011, 03:42

My first C program from scratch will probably be that Trek Trivia Volume 11 I've planned for a while. I'm still missing 800x600 pics for it at this time. They all need to be from the original TV series.
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby WolferCooker 06 Oct 2011, 05:44

Cool :)! Sounds like something pretty simple to make, but I know it's not. I don't think we're gonna learn how to post pics on a C++ program in school. I assume that is more advanced type of coding.
    WolferCooker

Postby DoomJedi 06 Oct 2011, 09:27

I have alot of my old school C++ example programs from the old times :)
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Tricob1974 07 Oct 2011, 02:24

WolferCooker wrote:I don't think we're gonna learn how to post pics on a C++ program in school. I assume that is more advanced type of coding.
    Numerous picture formats are open-source, such SNP. The BMP format isn't very advanced, either; it doesn't use a compression scheme of any sort.
    Tricob1974
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby WolferCooker 23 Oct 2011, 20:37

I'm having trouble with a programming assignment and I don't know where to begin. There are no past programming assignments to assist me so I'm on my own.

Assignment is due Monday night. Anyone want to help me with this? I'll post the assignment question when someone is willing to help me.
    WolferCooker

Postby SexyXeno 01 Sep 2012, 00:55

Wonder if he ever got that assignment finished on time? I know how stressful such assignments can be. Currently I am struggling learning the MFC for Visual Studio 2010. Console programing was fun, simple, and could be done procedurally or OO style. The book for my class does not dicuss using the MFC even once, so we are left in the dark trying to fumble around with this event based programing? According to my research its much better to learn a bit of Windows API programing before getting into the MFC because otherwise you won't understand any of the code it plugs in behind the scenes or the correct location to plug in your C++ half the time.

Colleges that actually teach seem like they're non existent. Pointers are something I am very slowly starting to grasp. I think they expect way too much too soon, a month before today I had next to zero programing experience other than staring at code out of curiosity.

"sigh" I can't help but feeling this is NOT the way people should be taught how to program.
    SexyXeno

Postby DoomJedi 01 Sep 2012, 10:23

LinuxWolf wrote:SexyXeno, if you run into any problems with C/C++, OO or Event Driven Programming during your training, I'm here to help.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Return to General topics