• View unanswered postsView active topics

• Batman thread

All the rest (non-gaming) topics

Postby Ron 20 Jul 2012, 17:58

I have seen it, and it was magnificent. :D

I'll post both a spoiler-free and a spoiler filled (in tags) review later.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Lozer_42 20 Jul 2012, 22:39

Seeing it tomorrow. :)

Hidden Text: Show
    The news this morning about the theater shooting in Colorado kind of killed a little bit of my excitement for this movie, sadly...
    Lozer_42
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Ron 20 Jul 2012, 22:48

Yeah, it's sad. The laws on guns in America are just nuts.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby Lozer_42 20 Jul 2012, 22:56

I'm not against people having guns at all. (even if it's illegal, the "bad guys" still get their hands on them anyway.) But I don't think a person needs a freakin' AR-15!

I don't think guns laws are the problem. The person was just REALLY messed up in the head.
    Lozer_42
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 20 Jul 2012, 23:30

Just came from the movie (non-IMAX).

WHAT an experience....it's was so much more than I expected....Nolan had outdone himself....this is amazing, simply amazing....
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Ron 20 Jul 2012, 23:58

What were your favorite scenes? :)
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 21 Jul 2012, 00:14

ronwolf1705 wrote:What were your favorite scenes? :)

Some scenes were very personal to me specifically....but I won't mention those as those don't count.

In general - hard to pick.
    Most of the best scenes IMHO were between CatWoman and Bruce.
    I loved how Nolan can deliver a scene even before one word was said and without making it melodramatic - just dramatic...
    Also I loved how things I've seen in a trailer 1000 times till you wanna puke - suddenly become scenes of such a meaning and act on you like you've never seen the scene and bring tears....because of wider context...
    Loved the eye/face acting of Bane and Catwoman....they needed no text.
    Loved the police chase scene with Batman surrounded, it was epic.
    Loved the whole prison thing with climbing that pit....epic, just epic.
    Well....loved so many scenes....
    In general it's so great that this movie wasn't about just one epic scene overshadowing/carrying the rest....it was brick by brick, scene by scene....only together they make an epic movie and epic story

Also - 2 of legendary Israeli actors (known to every Israeli in every home) in one Batman movie (Dr. Pavel and that prison guy) - it's amazing.
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby DoomJedi 21 Jul 2012, 00:23

The movie is 1000 miles deep, this is amazing....I love how Nolan plants and idea and then makes it become something more..... meaningless "autopilot" remark that so much reflects Bruce being in "autopilot" and needing to take his destiny into his own hands...which he does....

Other clear references...climbing a pit...Whole "Batman Begins" he was fighting fear and ScareCrow as a symbol of it....to illiminate it - and suddenly needing that fear to survive, to bridge the gap, as destroying his fear made him "a living fearless dead"...he lost part of him, important part of him by illiminating fear completely....
    So in "Batman Begins" he more lost than won, love how it spills new light on things....
    Also Bane was a false legend in prison....he didn't climb that pit....And Batman is a true legend.

Full circle....

Other great great references... I can keep and keep going...
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby DoomJedi 21 Jul 2012, 00:34

This is amazing how Nolan first introduces the "Death or Exile" concept, predicting the end....or representing 2 possible endings to Bruce (so deep how Alfred says - "you see only one ending to your story" - and then ScareCrow echoing that in his "Death or Exile? - Death!, By Exile!" phrase....), and then merging both Death and Exile in one great movie ending....
    This is also great nod to Two-Face's coin (result manipulation), that gave an illusion of choice, of hope, like Bane is playing Gotham and Batman... Seemingly two different sides of the coin being the same side.
    There is coin reference in the movie as well.
    By merging the two choices into one, Death and Exile - Bruces heals Harvey karma back to before-evil times.
    It's interesting how ScareCrow plays Two-Face in this movie, and not himself as ScareCrow....Justice....Jury....Court...two choices (being the same choice), final decision.....
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby Ron 21 Jul 2012, 04:12

Catwoman was one of my favorite things about the movie, definitely. The interaction between her and Bruce was just ace. 'Some people need to have their faith rewarded', and Catwoman got her faith rewarded in the end.

So in "Batman Begins" he more lost than won, love how it spills new light on things....

And then he lost some more in The Dark Knight as well. By refusing to take off his mask, he dooms his loved one, Harvey Dent and Gotham citizens. He was trying too hard to uphold the symbol.

Seemingly two different sides of the coin being the same side.

Bane is a bit of a dark mirror version of Batman. Batman lets pain dominate his life, and later learns to deal with this. Bane doesn't feel any pain at all and when he does later in the movie, he goes apeshit. Good analogy how you can't hide/ignore pain but have to deal with it.

I loved that all the villains (except Joker) appeared in this one. One of my favorite scenes is when Bane reveals to Gotham what happened to Harvey Dent using Gordon's speech. It was edited in a fantastic way, he truelly spoke like a dictator. And made Gordon look bad at the same time.

Michael Caine was amazing in this movie, every scene with him was heartbreaking. And there's a lot more I can mention probably. :D
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

Postby DoomJedi 21 Jul 2012, 12:03

Seemingly two different sides of the coin being the same side.

Bane is a bit of a dark mirror version of Batman.

Nolan himself gives in a movie a clear clue to that - when Bruce Wayne has rumors about him of being disfigured and needed a mask to breathe....
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby DoomJedi 21 Jul 2012, 12:23

CatWoman STEALS the show :) LOL
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby DoomJedi 21 Jul 2012, 14:26

...and Gotham yet again lives on a lie of somebody dying for it....

It's interesting how Bruce stars the movie in Exile within Gotham, merging the unmergable....for both for Batman and Him...merging their destiny together, no more "funny partyboy"....merging into one BruceMan.
    Alfred says "You see only one way to your Journey"....donnow if he means death, pain, exile....but it sure common path for Batman and Bruce.

Bane notices this in Bruce too, like Alfred predicted/warned - Bruce subconsiously wants to end his Journey, to die/to lose....to end both Batman and Him.....and doesn't let him....it this he does his only good deed to Bruce.

And only in the end of the movie Bruce manages to split the destiny of Batman from destiny of Bruce...giving each one of them proper happy-end.
    Merging Death and Exile....and the best kind of death and best kind of Exile...
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

Postby DoomJedi 21 Jul 2012, 14:50

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/1T__uN5xmC0[/youtu_be]
    DoomJedi
    Administrator
    Administrator

The following user would like to thank DoomJedi for this post
    Ron

Postby Ron 21 Jul 2012, 15:47

...and Gotham yet again lives on a lie of somebody dying for it....

Unless Blake continues as Batman, you could argue that Batman didn't really die then. I also like the fact that he stands on a platform that goes up, 'The Dark Knight RISES'. Lots of 'rises' imagery in the movie anyway.
    Ron
    Team RayCast member
    Team RayCast member

The following user would like to thank Ron for this post
    DoomJedi

PreviousNext

Return to General topics